1988 Overheating newly replaced sending unit

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have an 88 Tbird with a 5.0. It sat for years and years and it ended up needing a fuel pump so I replaced the tank and everything while I was at it. I got it running and it runs good.

The only thing that wasn’t working in the car was the temp gauge (not digital gauges) wasn’t reading at all so I replaced the sending unit for it and now it works.
The gauge is reading really hot while driving but not quite overheating. It Is at the very top of the normal range. I did flush the radiator and put fresh coolant. It may be a hair lower on the gauge but not enough to mention. Any tips?? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have a handheld infrared temp gauge that you could use to see what the coolant temps are? Just point it at the top of the radiator where the return hose connects and read the temp there. That will give you an idea if you are on the high end of the temp range or not. Try and wash the outside of the radiator with a hose and spray nozzle to help clean out any build up of dirt and dust that might be restricting airflow.
Take care
Ed

Does the computer have the coolant temperature via the OBD port like newer cars? I can check my coolant temperature with the Torque app on my 2012 Mustang.

I wouldn't be to worried as long as it's in the normal range. As previously said you can check it with a hand held temp gauge. If the car has been sitting for several years a thermostat replacement would not be out of line.

Back