1964 landau no electrical power

Ezdarryl58
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
replaced ignition coil voltage reg and batter at 12.34 volts .turn key non batter drops 10,34 volts all lights dim do sound click nothing and replaced starter relay also .and battery sparks when connect negative terminal lik it hot side of battery please help no fuses blown and changed all relays anyone know where i should start haven't seen any frayed or burnt wiring

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Leave the neg. terminal off batt. Disconnect hot wire from Alternator,now touch neg. wire to batt. post. If no spark bad alternator. Check connections at the starter, check ALL ground connections. Then it's isolating eah system one at a time.

Is the battery pulled low with the key off or just when you try to start it? If only when trying to start, it sounds like a jammed starter.

You should charge the battery before any more testing, your resting voltage should be 12.6.
The immediate fall to 10.3 volts is too low.
Does your car have an aftermarket radio or any electrical modifications?

10.3 volts at load sounds like a bad cell in the battery. That would be a bad battery.

A stuck starter could have stuck the contacts in the starter solenoid. That would cause a spark. Or at if voltage was low the current could have stuck the starter relay points. The lower quality replacement starter solenoids are known to be problematic. Many cases of solenoids sticking and overheating and causing fires. I have seen this happen on a Mustang and one of the Mustang forums warns owners to avoid poor quality units.

A stuck starter could have stuck the contacts in the starter solenoid. That would cause a spark. Or at if voltage was low the current could have stuck the starter relay points. The lower quality replacement starter solenoids are known to be problematic. Many cases of solenoids sticking and overheating and causing fires. I have seen this happen on a Mustang and one of the Mustang forums warns owners to avoid poor quality units.
NAPA, is the only place I will go for electrical components. Between their Belden line of automotive electrical components and their in house Echlin, line you can't go wrong.

replaced ignition coil voltage reg and batter at 12.34 volts .turn key non batter drops 10,34 volts all lights dim do sound click nothing and replaced starter relay also .and battery sparks when connect negative terminal lik it hot side of battery please help no fuses blown and changed all relays anyone know where i should start haven't seen any frayed or burnt wiring
sounds like bad grounds? or the hot lead is touching somewhere. start with the starter solenoid and check wires coming off of it and see if there good. I would just replace the solenoid and then U know for sure its not there.

sounds like bad grounds? or the hot lead is touching somewhere. start with the starter solenoid and check wires coming off of it and see if there good. I would just replace the solenoid and then U know for sure its not there.
Sounds like there is a dead short somewhere. First check which circuits are energized with the battery attached. There should be none other than lights. Once the key is turned a whole different circuit activates.

Back