1961 dual master cylinder conversion

Bob63
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m wanting to convert to a dual master cylinder on my 61. Has anyone found a dual MC that will fit under the original strut tower brace? I really don’t want to cut the brace for obvious reasons.
A source and a part number for one that will work would be a great help. Thank you.

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 7

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Don't take this wrong, but why?
I agree. If you properly maintain a single master cylinder and do regular maintenance they are safe and work fine - one saved my life - and, they give plenty of warning ahead of time if there are issues. I've done dual M/C conversions on first gen Mustangs and a '61 Corvette but I wouldn't do it on an original car where it required too aggressive modifications.

However, you might give National Parts Depot a call, I converted a 66 Mustang with the export brace similar to your situation and it fit just fine.

Last edited:
1978 corvette master cylinder
A standard heavy duty proportioning valve
I can find out the booster year to might also be 78 vette

Attachments

• 71374687522__B55F35D8-5FD8-4670-88F8-455A18664A2F.jpeg
    71374687522__B55F35D8-5FD8-4670-88F8-455A18664A2F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
1978 corvette master cylinder
A standard heavy duty proportioning valve
I can find out the booster year to might also be 78 vette
Unfortunately the tower brace has to be permanently removed for the installation. I think the OP is looking for one that would fit with the brace in place.

I had enough room to even throw on M/T valve and the brace went on without issue. What do you mean permanently removed?

I had enough room to even throw on M/T valve and the brace went on without issue. What do you mean permanently removed?
In the picture the brace is removed; I was under the impression that the brace wouldn't fit. Are you saying that you were able to replace the brace after the new MC was installed? If so, I retract my previous comment; and congratulations, as brace clearance seems to be a common problem when updating these Birds to a dual MC.

Was your new MC a direct bolt in? A previous owner installed a dual MC from a later model Bird on my 62 but it necessitated modifying the brace to clear the MC.

It was removed because my proportioning valve which was bad out of the box and wouldn’t stop leaking.. so let me elaborate a little more.. I bought the disc brake kit off EBay and that’s where the booster and master cylinder came from… not only was it direct bolt in for both but it saved up so much room i was able to run super tall M/T valve covers.. the booster and master were direct bolt in but you have to add a proportioning valve and reconfigure the brake light wire.. however it’s worth it’s weight in gold!!

P.S. I’m not positive but o think the booster is also so much more compact that it give you a lot of extra breathing room… before the setup went in I couldn’t use basically any square valve covers.. now I could throw in a 428 if I wanted to lol it gives you alottt of room!

Attachments

• IMG_7008.png
    IMG_7008.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Don't take this wrong, but why?
Mine after 60 years ended up corroded and gunking up brake lines… P.S. there’s a pin that is part of the pivot for the brake pedal… that one lost the E clip and fell out for me… rendering the brakes useless and the pedal falls to the floor.. that’s a Huge thing I can’t stress enough keep an eye on that pin!!

Back