03 not starting

Replace the right fuel pump, bet car runs after that. I did not even bother
to see if my left fuel pump works. Left fuel pump only help when fuel drops
below quarter tank. I never let car go below half tank.
Ok This is very helpful.. So the next question is Is the right side the driver or passenger side. I have always based sides sitting in the car.. So right side is passenger side.. Is that the side you are speaking of?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since you have to tear apart the area behind the seats, I see no reason not to replace both pumps.

Ok This is very helpful.. So the next question is Is the right side the driver or passenger side. I have always based sides sitting in the car.. So right side is passenger side.. Is that the side you are speaking of?
Lucy, did you get everything working? The transfer "pump" on driver side is passive, not electric, there's not much to go wrong unless it gets clogged with gummy fuel. However there is a fuel level float on that side attached to the module just like the main fuel pump. Removing hardtop will definitely give your body more room to work. If it has corroded and is bad, your fuel gauge won't read properly. Both modules are accessible from inside the car (take the speaker and seatbelt trim panels off and pull back the carpet). Ford procedure says to loosen tank straps to slightly drop the tank - better access to the plastic rings that hold the pumps to the tank but not necessary if you rent the fuel pump removal tool from Autozone. Ford uses the equivalent of huge socket to remove the ring and the ring is partially obscured by the body when the tank is fully mounted. Aftermarket tools are a bar with two arms that fit over the ring. Tight fit but it will work. Probably need a pretty long socket wrench, use steady pressure, not jerking motion, otherwise the tabs on the ring might break. Since everything is plastic and rubber (gasket) it won't be rusted but it will be dry and there will be a lot of friction. If you are willing to spray some water, it might lubricate the mating surfaces and make it easier to loosen. Transfer module is basically OEM (Motorcraft) and expensive but fuel pump is available from other suppliers. You can also remove the fuel pump module and replace just the pump if you can get everything apart for cheaper - not worth it IMHO

Last edited:
Back