1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Santa has some Thunderbird Christmas gift ideas in this thread.

Dismiss Notice

02-05 Trailer Hitch

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by wthigpen, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ok folks, I read all the posts about trailer hitches for 02-05 retro birds. Problem is, I can't find a hitch anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

2. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Thanks. I've seen all that. No luck finding that hitch.....yet. Was hoping a member might have one for sale.

tbird likes this.
  4. cobrajeff

cobrajeff Active Member Lifetime Donor

I sold my retro 'Bird about five years ago (with my custom hitch on it). I just bought another 2002 T'Bird, and need to install a hitch on it. Haven't had any luck finding a 24705 hitch - if anyone has any idea where to get one (new or used) I'd love to hear about it. Some have suggested a Lincoln LS hitch will work - I bought one off e-Bay, but, so far, it does not appear to fit as well as the T'Bird specific model. The LS hitch is load rated higher than the T'Bird hitch (3500# vs. 2000#) so the main crossbar of the hitch is thicker, which means it will not tuck under the rear valance like the T'Bird model. I am working to convert this hitch to a completely hidden installation like I did with my old one, but, starting with the 12253 Curt LS hitch has made more modifications necessary.

Jeff

5. I just installed the curt Lincoln LS hitch on my 02 Thunderbird and it fits fine and the only thing exposed is the receiver box

biddle and John Hayman like this.
  6. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

Where did you buy it? @ cdf

7. Thanks for the reply. Did you have to do any modifications? Warren

8. I cannot find the part of this site where you post a new thread. Help?

9. I bought the hitch from northern tool and the only modification was to cut a small 3" notch in the bottom of the bumper cover and it's not noticeable unless you lay on the ground to look at it. I'll try to post a pic of it to show how it looks.

biddle likes this.
  10. You have to log in. Then you can just reply. Or post new thread is in red box at top of page.
    Pics would be great. Thanks so much. Warren

John Hayman likes this.
  11. I think I am logged in. My name is at the top. But there is no red box that I can find.....

12. Go down to 02-05 thunderbirds under forums. Click on it . Red box should be on new page.

John Hayman likes this.
  13. Thank you! Now if I can just remember.....

14. IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2226 2.PNG

biddle likes this.
  15. The RV Plug Is The Most Noticeable Part When Standing Behind The Car

16. cobrajeff

I have finished the install of a Lincoln LS hitch on my second 2002 T'Bird (probably should not have sold the first one). The LS hitch is a bit more substantial than the T'Bird hitch, and I made some modifications to it to make it fit better. I also made the receiver box removable (like I did on my old one) to make the hitch even more unnoticeable.

Attached Files:

17. Hi I need one myself.

What year LS hitch should I order? any other particulars (model of LS etc)?

thanks!

18. cobrajeff

From what I have seen, the LS hitches fit 2000-2006 Lincoln LS, and no specific model is required. Part numbers I have seen for the LS hitch are: 36282 for Draw-Tite and U-Haul; 12253 for Curt; and 06393 for Reese.

IMG_4862 m (Large).jpg IMG_4864 m (Large).jpg

biddle likes this.
  19. Thanks, ordered a curt 12253 for $129

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!