XM radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ees41

Last seen
I have been using a sky dock with I- Phone XM ap. for service. Would like to have radio with XM and external jack. Has anyone installed a later Ford radio with these features? Any input welcome. 2005 Bird. Ed.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ed,

I have installed something in my '04 that I think is what you are looking for. It is an auxiliary input adapter for T-Birds equipped with the SAT button (2004-2005). It connects to the port on the back of the radio where the OEM satellite receiver would be connected if it were present. The other side of the adapter provides female red and white RCA input jacks. You then connect a male RCA red and white to standard 3.5mm mini jack cable for interfacing with an iPhone, portable satellite radio, GPS or whatever's needed via the SAT button. It is made by PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) and the model number is FRD03-AUX/S. it costs around $70 and can be found by googling the model number or visiting their website pie.net. Hope this helps. Let know if I can provide any other information.

Regards,
John.

3RD BRD

What did you have to do to the radio to access the auxiliary input adapter? Did you have to remove the radio or could you access the input from under the dash?

Jamit

Thanks for the info. What I am basicly trying to do, is find a system for the stock bird radio that has XM, that uses the stock controls. Terk had a system like this( now unavailable) but it had no input jack for I-phone,etc. The sky-dock works well,but is awkward to use for the XM tuning. ED

Ed,

Anytime. Another option you may want to consider which I did in my other '04 was to install the actual Visteon satellite radio tuner. Cost was around $250 and I'm sure you can still find them as they were used in other Ford/Lincoln vehicles around that time. Technically it is for Sirius subscriptions but after the merger with XM you will be able to get the channels you are looking for. The plus side is that everything is controlled through OEM radio/controls and you get the text on the display. The downside is that there is no other aux input. What I do in that car is use a Griffin iTrip charger with a built in FM modulator for interfacing with my iPhone.

John

Thanks John. I found out, through Installer.com. ,that I can get a Sirius unit that does everything I am looking for. I'ts pricy ( $379 plus shipping) My other cars are XM. I'd have to take out a Sirius subscription also. Nothing is ever easy. Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back