Windshield trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panspeter
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone else experienced the chrome trim across the top of the windshild blistering. I have a 2005 that is now going on its second set of trim and have seen a couple other birds with the same problem. Both times the trim has been replaced with the factory warranty but my concern is what is going to happen when the warranty is gone. It appears that after a year and a half the little blisters appear and the next time I will have to pay to have the trim replaced. Of course the piece is not real chome as we know it but a chrome like substance on plastic. Has there been a recall that anyone is aware of?:confused:This has to be a defect that others are concerned about.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I do not know of a recall, but I am aware of at least 4 owners that have had the same thing happen to them....Mostly 2003 Birds, same strips.
One owner said that there was no copper coating under the chrome, which is what holds the chrome to the part. I'm not sure if that is correct. However, almost all had replacements under warranty. See their comments:

Here's what one said: "Chrome windshield trim? I had parts of the chrome trim around the windshield replaced by the dealer under warranty. First the drivers side, then the passengers side for bubbling under the chrome. Now the top piece is doing it! Cheap stuff, but not inexpensive. Keep an eye on these pieces. I just noticed the top piece seemed to be delaminating or whatever you call it when the chrome starts coming off the plastic. Right at the back where it meets the top so it is really hard to see without removing the hard top or lowering the soft top."
Another said: "I had it replaced also. Side parts showed pitting, but the middle part was peeling also. This was caused by the latch pins of the top. I guess someone in the garage had tried to close the soft top without first putting the pins in the right position. This might have caused yours to peel as well. $170 with shipping to Europe"
Another: "I had all 3 of mine changed also."
Another: "They rejected my warranty claim, so I rejected their offer to fix it. Of course, they wanted to charge me $116 list plus $95 per hour to install it. I got it for $84 and my friendly neighborhood body shop will install it as a favor for nothing. I do urge anyone that might still be under warranty to look very carefully at these pieces. They will go bad for no reason at all. I keep mine clean and "waxed" all the time."
Finally: "I had to have mine replaced under warranty as well. On mine it was just the side pieces the middle was ok."

I have the same problem on my 03 bird. I have the dreaded buble in 2 places and I have not replaced the defective pieces yet. Has anyone done the replacement themselves. If it's not that difficult, I may try it myself. Does anyone know what causes the problem?

Thanks,

Jim (jetbird):

Jim:
There was a guy, a while back, probably 2-3 years ago that did it and wasn't too happy.
He said; "You have to remove the inside trim - which is the pain. There is a screw that goes through the body piller, and some sheet metal screws on the outside."
So I guess if you're going to do the work, you may want to do all 3 pieces while it's open, IMHO.

Mine is a 2005 model year and having the same corrosion problems. On the right hand side piece where joining the top piece. In reviewing the shop manual, it is a laborious task to remove/replace them. :(

Thanks

Thanks guys for responding. I had a hunch I wasn't alone. All three trim pieces on my 2005 began to peel. This will be the second time I have had them replaced. I fear the third time will be about another year and a half and then I will have to pay for it myself. It starts out small and you hardly notice it but once a chunk comes off it looks ugly quick. The body man at my dealership suggested next time maybe I should consider just painting it black. You would think Ford would just make the piece right and be done with it.:(

Bubbling Chrome, Trim

Bad news Tbird owners the windsheid trim is not plastic with chrome plating. It is sheet metal with chrome plating. I have replaced the driver side. The easy part is getting off the interior trim. You will need a deep socket to reach the two nuts in the A pillar and you will be workin blind. You will loose these nuts in the body unless use use a magnetized socket. I used a rolled up piece of stiff papper to line the hole so when I retracted the socket the nut fell out through the tube and onto the floor. I learned this after loosing one of the nuts which happen to be special from Ford.
I believe the lifting chrome is a symtom of the excessive cowl shake. If these trim pieces are overtightened and not allowed to move independant of the cowl they flex. This flexing will lift the chrome plating at any highly stressed areas. Once the plating lifts it will start corroding under the plating producing the bubbling affect.
The (2) mounting screws use a flexible foam faced mounting block which seals the screw opening into the A pillar. Tighten these screws only enough to limit trim movement. I believe this will limit flexure of the trim pieces.

Bubbling Chrome Trim

I have considered replacing the defective trim myself but after reading the replacement procedure, I will probably wimp out and have it done. Does anyone know of a chrome coating that would work on the spots where the chrome has come off. Apparently, this is not a one time fix and I want to wait as long as possible to make the repair. I tried chrome paint and guess what, that looks like someone painted it with chrome paint. Has anyone had the defective trim rechromed?

Jim (jetbird)

Just to chime in that my '03 had the trim replaced once under warranty and is now peeling again. :rolleyes:

For all the things I love about my car, it's this kind of trash that makes me hate it.

...I don't think I'd wait too long to replace because availability will become an issue..if not already...as with other bits and pieces for our cars..Situations like this make me wonder if Ford changed suppliers...or Ford's supplier had a bad run during manufacturing....I haven't experienced this on mine, an early production '02 (Nov. '01)...I would think the trim comes off during windshield replacement...If you could find a glass shop that's done one of these?...

For those who may have pitted chrome trim around their windshields, and want to replace them.
I just picked this up from a friend in our New England club:

"The top molding is - 3w6z-7650046-aa 83.11, the left side is - 3w6z-7603137-ba 94.25 and the right side is - 3w6z-7603136-ba 94.25, and it would take me 2-3 days to get all 3 moldings in"

Mike Magsig - Tousley Ford Parts
1-800-328-9552 or 651-288-1562

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back