Windshield Cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
My windshield cracked as I was closing the convertible top. (Actually, I was pushing the handle that tightens the hooks up into the locked position.) It was a really horrible sound and it really sucked.

What sucks MORE is that apparently Ford refuses to replace it under warranty. The dealership says there is a chip in the windshield, so this was caused by something external such as a rock. (There does seem to be a chip or a sliver or something, but to my eyes I can't tell whether it was caused by something outside, or by the fact that the **** windshield is broken!)

Now, I'm no expert on glass. But it seems unlikely to me that a rock hit my windshield at high speed at the exact moment I was parked in my driveway, closing the top.

I also don't think anything had hit it previously and weakened the windshield. I'd have heard something like that.

The customer relations line gave me the same basic answer - they would go with the dealership diagnosis, or in other words, I am apparently a big old liar.

I can't believe this customer service. I'm not really mad at the dealer - if they think Ford won't reimburse them for the service, they won't do it. But I'm really dismayed at the fact that because of Ford's apparent warranty policies, the dealership has to look for ways of getting out of doing warranty service.

And given the "flagship" nature of the new T-Birds, and the fact that I am constantly being asked about the car by strangers on the street, do they really want me to be out there saying "Sure, it looks nice, but don't buy this or ANY Ford - if anything goes wrong they'll blame you and try to get out of paying for it!"

Anyway, I needed to get that off my chest, and to ask: Has this happened to anyone else? Has anybody heard of this? I think I'll have more of a leg to stand on if I'm not the only one who this has happened to.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had the same problem, the only good thing was that at the time the winshield cracked the dealership had the vehicle for the recalls, they also are fixing the scratches done by the hardtop and putting a plastic strip to protect the vehicles finish.

Originally posted by FORDTB:
I had the same problem, the only good thing was that at the time the winshield cracked the dealership had the vehicle for the recalls, they also are fixing the scratches done by the hardtop and putting a plastic strip to protect the vehicles finish.

No kidding? Have you heard of anyone else this has happened to? The windshield cracking while closing the convertible top, I mean.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back