Windshield Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
N
Well, it was like slow motion when the rock came off the tire of a truck headed in the opposite direction on US-421 going to Boone last week. The piece of broken concrete along a road construction area, carved a long arch in the sky and bounced twice on the windshield before it ricocheted over the car. I was horrified to end up with two small chips on the windshield right in my line of vision.

I'm making plans to have it replaced next Wednesday. Has anyone had a similar incident? I believe that replacement will be better than repair. The chips are small and I don't want the replacement to do more damage to the looks of the car than the damage itself. Can a good glass repair shop make it look like it's from the factory?

I would like to hear from anyone having experience with windshield work on the new Birds.

NCBlueBird Blue/Blue Premium #20726

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Three weeks ago heading west in the center lane of I-40 in Amarillo we were cruising about 60 MPH when a Tempo passed on the left at about 80 MPH and made a 3 lane change right in front of us to exit off at Bell St. The car kicked up a rock and hit the windshield right in front of the driver but only an inch above the windshield wiper. I had it repaired. The man doing the repair said that in most cases he can make the crack disappear by applying heat to the inside of the windshield as the repair solution is applied. But in this case the chip was so low that he said the heat would possibly damage the dashboard because of how low the chip was. The chip is now fixed but is visable. But being so low you don't notice it unless you know its there and start looking for it.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

FYI: Just had my windshield replaced. hit by a stone last Monday that resulted in a 17in crack down the center of the windshield. the replacement installation was excellent and was done in 2 days. tested it last night in thunderstorms with driving rain at 70 mph (unplanned test :) no noise - no leak. cost $680 with tax.

RT42,

A couple of questions about your replacement windshield. I was OK with my replacement until I went by the dealership to look at new cars. Does your replacement have the small Thunderbird logo? My original had an outline TBird logo like the ones on the lot. The replacement has more detail and looks to me like the old TBird logo. TBird factory windshields (at least those sitting at the dealer now)are made by "PP&G." My new one is "Carlite," but it says "Ford Motor Company" What do you see on your replacement?

Also, my mirror attachment is about half an inch lower than those on the cars sitting at the dealership.

I know these are nit picky things, but I just want to make sure that I know what is going on here. Should a Ford replacement windshield look identical to the original or are replacements done by Ford under some other manufacturer contract.

I'm interested in the knowledge and experience of any others on the board.

Thanks,

NCBlueBird

My replacement is also Carlite and Ford Motor company. I never noticed the labeling on my original. It appears to have a little more tinting than the original.

Hi RT42, where did you get your windshield? I try to also get my windshield replaced, but I cant find a dealer who has the windshield for my TB 2002. the more complicated thing for me is to get it to Europe....

Hi RT42, where did you get your windshield? I try to also get my windshield replaced, but I cant find a dealer who has the windshield for my TB 2002. the more complicated thing for me is to get it to Europe....
The post by RT42 is over 18 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back