Will it be a collectible

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pcbulens@paulbu

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
So we just bought an '05 50th Anniversary edition in Medium Steel Blue. It has 2100 miles on it. We are considering putting it in storage and preserving it as a collectible. Do you people think this is a worthwhile project? How realistic is it to think that this car will increase in value over the years?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Collectable .. ?

I think I will just drive mine and enjoy the ride. By the time it becomes rare, the rubber will need to be replaced, the seals will be dried out, and the tires will have rotted.. Heck, it's too beautiful a car to let sit, and I suspect it will be several years before they will be scarce ... last I heard, there are about 1200 sitting in dealers show rooms still unsold. Of course, thats just my opinion..
Jim
:rolleyes:

Jim's right, unless you have monry to burn by letting it sit you may as well enjoy it by driving it now. If you paid $30,000 for it used this year, and in 45 years if its worth $105,000, then you've exactly broke even with an estimated 3 percent inflation rate. http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html

pcbulens@paulbu said:
So we just bought an '05 50th Anniversary edition in Medium Steel Blue. It has 2100 miles on it. We are considering putting it in storage and preserving it as a collectible. Do you people think this is a worthwhile project? How realistic is it to think that this car will increase in value over the years?

BTW, There are threads on this site to find out how rare your car is as well as its birth date.

.....you would be doing yourself an unfortunate disservice by not enjoying your new 'Bird.....If the purchase was soley as you are suggesting then I guess you are not emotionally attached to your purchase....which is unfortunate because it is a truely unique ownership experience and you should enjoy it!....not save it for someone else.......Don't know how old you are but these 'Birds aren't going to be valuable in my lifetime!.....Mine is my daily driver....I can't imagine driving anything else....and I'm making **** sure I'll use it up before I go!......Cheers!

Use it and enjoy it. :cool: By the time it's worth more than you paid for it, none of us will be around :mad:

I might buy a second one and put it in storage, but that is only because this one is a daily driver and I will want one when this one wears out. I might leave it to my grand daughter but it probability won't even pay for her College education (she is 5).

Opinions

Noone can answer the question, "Will X be a collector's item?".

If they can, ask them who is going to win the superbowl next year, or which stock is about to go up.

Generally speaking, cars are a bad investment. It costs a fortune to keep a car even if someone gives you one. The risk is huge and the return is unlikely. But some people get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back