Why does my 64 have 62 galaxy motor mounts?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This new year will be better for me than the last because I will finally get my car on the road. The problem I’m having is the motor mounts are from a different car. The car has less than 7,000 mi and never been touched from the day it was made. The Ford galaxy mounts that were on the car make the engine sit higher than the mounts that are called out. Any thoughts?
F09DDCB5-3C38-44E3-9BAA-F64E22903C37.jpeg

Forgot to add bolt holes on new mount to engine do not line up either.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This new year will be better for me than the last because I will finally get my car on the road. The problem I’m having is the motor mounts are from a different car. The car has less than 7,000 mi and never been touched from the day it was made. The Ford galaxy mounts that were on the car make the engine sit higher than the mounts that are called out. Any thoughts?
It looks like the larger of the two is on top of picture is the correct one at least for a 65. If you use the lower profile one you may have clearence issues with your exhaust pipe or headers if you have headers. Also the newer replacemnts like the top one are a 1/4" shorter and if you do have headers you will need to to make a 1/4" shim.

Thanks for the input Thelma good thoughts on header clearance. I have gone to three different parts sources and they all have the lower thinner mount which also different mount hole locations. How can so many parts sources have the wrong mount? Maybe they found a 62 Galaxie motor in a line workers locker and stuck it in my early 64? Reminds me of a song -Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time!

I inserted your image into your post as seen here-

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Thelma good thoughts on header clearance. I have gone to three different parts sources and they all have the lower thinner mount which also different mount hole locations. How can so many parts sources have the wrong mount? Maybe they found a 62 Galaxie motor in a line workers locker and stuck it in my early 64? Reminds me of a song -Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time!
Fyi there should be two pieces #1 a bracket mounted to frame crossmember a right side and a left side one bolt to mount to frame
. # 2 a motor mount right and left side one bolt to frame bracket two bolts to motor block. Pretty sure Johnny drove Cadillacs

IMG_0360.JPGIMG_0361.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 15064

So you are the original owner of this car?

Are you sure you gave Galaxy mounts? I would maybe look at replacement mounts from a '63. If it's one made early in the production, Ford used a lot of parts from the previous year to clean out their inventory. I have the same problem with my early '57. Has several '56 parts installed from the factory.

View attachment 15064

DO NOT ATTEMPT to use the bottom ones in the picture. They are NOT for a TBird. The top one is correct. Unfortunately, places like Auto Zone and Rock Auto list the bottom one as correct. Order new mounts from The Bird Nest, or Pat Wilson to get the correct mounts.

Back