What would you buy 1957, 1959 or 1965?

canadiancreed

canadiancreed

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Morning all

So was made aware of three tbirds that are local and are in good condition (think #2 level), and wondered if anyone that owned these models would have any feedback on them? What to look out for? How they drive? Part availability? What would be a better choice investment wise (not the main reason, but it is a tertiary consideration). For reference all are around the same price.

The first one is a '59convertible, red with black leather, rocking a auto transmission with a J model 430 under the hood.
The second is '65 convertible, red with black leather, with a 390 under the hood. Has the cover that makes it look like a 2dr (I forget the term for it sadly)
The third is a '57, has soft and hard top, red with red and white interior, running a 312/245 engine with an auto transmission

Anyone that has any thoughts or advice, I'm all ears.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

All depends what model you like. The ‘59 may not be as desirable as the ‘57 and is a big bird like the ‘65. Do you want a 2 seater or 4 seater? Hardtop or soft top or both? Do you want stock or modified? Parts are available for all models. Buy the one that floats your boat!

All depends what model you like. The ‘59 may not be as desirable as the ‘57 and is a big bird like the ‘65. Do you want a 2 seater or 4 seater? Hardtop or soft top or both? Do you want stock or modified? Parts are available for all models. Buy the one that floats your boat!
LOL! The 65 will have the "lounge seating" rear seat style...tres-cool and comfy!

I stand corrected! Buy the one that floats your wife’s boat 🤣

If you are interested/planning to join a club, I think you'll find the clubs supporting the '55's, 56's & 57's a bit more active. Just a personal opinion.

Buy the 57. No woman will ever stop her car after coming through a 4 way stop, lower her window, actually stick her head out the window and say "that is a beautiful car" for a 59 or 65.
Actually had that happen to me as I waited my turn at the 4 way.

Will your wife be driving it? If so make sure it has power steering and brakes! The ‘57 should but if not it’s a bear to park!

That's a really personal choice. I had a 64 and now have a 57. The 64 was, not surprisingly, like driving a boat in every way, I would expect the 65.66 to be pretty similar. Great on the freeway. For my preferred kind of driving, around town, I much prefer the 57. No, not really a sports car but much sportier than the flairbirds and in around town use it drives very similar to a modern car if you don't get carried away. As to the 59... Never drove one. Styling wise, it's my least favorite although I have seen some in certain colors that were appealing. I've had power convertibles (not tbirds) and really don't like them when the soft top is up. Of course, top down they are all great. I like the 57 because it has the hardtop which I much prefer to the soft-top. Need a top in summer here in phx and I run an AC in the 57.

Last edited:
I’ve had a ‘62(390), ‘66(428) & now a ‘55(292). The ‘62 & ‘66 were hardtops. The ‘55 has both. The’62 was very stylish. The’66 was luxurious and big. The baby birds are more fun to drive and probably a better investment. I’d go with fun 👍🏼

The level of work needed, condition of body, which one would she look best driving.
I bought my 55 based on body condition, no rusted through at all spots, only two small dents.

We have a 57 and love it. Rides great and drives great. Even more they look great.

As the others have said, its personal choice. I own a 59 and it's the only body style I like. Some of the later years 61 upward look bigger and had not so attractive body styles except the flair bird (64-66). There is a difference in mentality between the owners of the 2 seaters (55-57) and the four seaters. and there's no middle ground. nTouchone is correct there are more clubs for 55-57s if that's your thing. My personal opinion i think the 55-57 look more feminine and cater to the ladies.

Back