Triangular Cutouts on 1955

doug7740

doug7740

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
On the left side of my radiator there is a triangular cutout that I would assume is to access the left hood hinge bolts. On the right side of my radiator there is no cutout at all. According to the VIN (20M), my Thunderbird is an early 55, because it was manufactured on 12/20/1954.

I have looked at other 55 Thunderbirds and discovered that some have these triangular cutouts on both sides and some have the cutout on only the driver’s side. The Thunderbirds I looked at that were manufactured on 12/29/1954 (29M) and on 2/2/1955 (2B) only have cutouts on the driver’s side. The Thunderbirds I looked at that were manufactured on 3/1/1955 (1C) and on 8/11/1955 (11H) have cutouts on both sides.

It would appear that starting in March 1955; Ford started manufacturing T-Birds with these triangular cutouts on both sides.

Are these triangular cutouts used to access the hood hinge bolts? If so, why did Ford wait until March 1955 before they put these cutouts on both sides of the radiator?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

upload_2018-8-25_6-10-32.jpg upload_2018-8-25_6-10-32.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject when posting, I added this for you. Thanks for posting.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject when posting, I added this for you. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for including the model year in the subject line of my post. Now could you please tell me what the triangular cutouts are for?

I have a late 55 bird and only have the cut out on the left side. Mine has the horns mounted to the radiator and pointed they the opening. From the restoration book this placement isn’t original and it doesn’t mention any purpose of the cut out. I thinking it was just part of the stamping as it saved metal and weight upfront. Hope this helps

Rick

Back