Top Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I've never been much of a car geek, but I'm being convervted quickly (thanks to this forum). Just out of curiosity...what is the fastest you've gone flying in your bird? I'm somewhat of a chicken(no pun intended) and have only dared to bring it to 95 mph., although I wasn't trying to go that fast and slowed down due to fear of getting a ticket. My insurance with three teenagers is high enough.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I got it upto 120 once (and it was still pulling smartly) but started closing fast on traffic ahead of me and backed down. This subject was covered before and the fastest I think was about 144 mph.

biggrin.gif
There was someone on here that did ,I think, a 1 or 2 mile run both ways and averaged around 153 or 154 mph using a radar gun. I have only had mine up to 125 mph one time. I don't really need to go that fast but it is a kick to do it at least once.
eek.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I can't imagine ever getting above 100. too chicken - not of the speed but of the ticket. I read somewhere that there is a governor that shuts down at about 140 because the tires are only guaranteed to 149. with the right tires the car is capable of doing much more

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

Originally posted by rlstonejr:
I can't imagine ever getting above 100. too chicken - not of the speed but of the ticket. I read somewhere that there is a governor that shuts down at about 140 because the tires are only guaranteed to 149. with the right tires the car is capable of doing much more

Does this car have Z rated tires?

No it has V rated tires. It is also in print from Ford that this vehicles cut off speed is 148 MPH. I fear the "ticket" also, that is why I waited till a day that the freeway was deserted, like Thanksgiving day at around 2PM and everyone was eating their big dinner. I could see for miles that there was not a car on the road so I went for it. As for the speed bothering me, nah not a problem. When I retired from drag racing the highest speed I had attained was 272 MPH. Todays speeds occassionally bumping 330 MPH has me wanting to strap back into a T/F dragster and break the 300 MPH barrier just so I can say that I have done it. But this is the one area the wife says NO! Being out of practice for 12 years I probably could not stand the 7 G's attained at take off and the negative 7 G's attained when the chute opens at over 300 MPH.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

The day after I got my car we were heading to FLorida nad I had it up to 115. I know there was more, but the car was new and I didn't want to push it. One of these days, I'll go out and give it all she's got, but I am confident mid 140's is easily attained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back