Tail light replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dan
I did some research for you. Below are the positive comments followed by the negative comments. It can be done:
For anyone interested: The rear stop light and turn signal is 3157LL. The back up light is 3156LL. The parking light is 3457ALL.

Positive comments:
"I have now changed the left side twice. The first time it was a bit scary, but nowhere near a two hour ordeal. If you have a deep socket set the change is a piece of cake and should really take no more than 10 minutes.

The real key is to pull the lens assembly straight out. It is connected with a male snap connector and did take a bit of a tug.

Go ahead and take the molded liner all the way out instead of trying to bend it. It is held in with a plastic piece that is easily removed with a screwdriver and pull by hand."
"I purchased my bulbs at the Parts Counter at my dealer (Sunnyvale Ford). Showed the counterman my broken fasteners. He gave me all I needed. Said that those were always free, but a lot of people don't ask."
"I pulled both of mine out when I installed the sonar parking assist. I found one of the clips to be very tight as well, but with a little prodding and the gentle help if a wrench, it loosened and they came out easily. It really just takes a little patience. I also took out the whole trunk liner before I did the lights, so I didn't have to fight that battle too. Slow and easy"
Negative comments:
"I fought this battle twice. The plastic trunk liner/flashing/whatever it is now has about three less plastic fasteners. They do not remove w/a little pressure - they don't move at all, until you really pull, at which time they snap. Furthermore, I don't know how one is supposed to remove the nut without scarring one's arm on the 8-inch bolt. After two, long, miserable efforts (both times ultimately successful, however, if success is defined as replacing the bulb), I took it to the dealer the next time. I don't know if any cursing was involved or how long it took them (the customer assistance guy I speak with on the phone is never available when I pick up the car, and no, I don't go to the dealer anymore), but they did break another fastener as part of the process. The whole assembly seems like a design flaw to this non-engineer "
"10 minute job right?.....not!....maybe it was the wrong day...I don't know...Consulted the Owner's Handbook.....Gently pulling on the scuff plate does not release for removal.......managed to get one fastener out but it is ruined......managed to fold the trunk liner away....not cool 'cause its a moulded piece.....closest fastener fine to undo.....the one on the other side less so.....be really careful easing the tailight assembly out.....the pressfit ball and socket is not accessable....so you have to ease the assembly out...one little twist and turn too many.....and the far side fastener point snaps, as it is on a long plastic column.......couple of bulbs...$8.00 CDN.....tailight assembly.....on order of course.......$110.00 CDN.....be carefull!....I obviously didn't have the knack......I wonder what the dealer would have done?....betting anything they have never changed a tailight bulb before"

Here's a pdf file on changing instructions: EDIT___It didn't work, email me and I'll send it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back