Soft top question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the situation. With the soft-top up, both windows down, and driving freeway speed. (55-65 mph). While looking in the rear view mirror, I see that it was partially blocked by the cloth insert that is in the soft-top storage area. It had ballooned up with the wind and obscured about a 1/3 of the rear window area that I could see. Has any one else had this happen, or is something wrong with mine?
I know, why is the top up, and the sun out. Its gets its bath this morning.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am having a different problem with the soft top. It is so tight that after raising it I have an 1.5" gap. The top needs to be pushed down from outside the car for the pins to go into the locating holes so that I can use the center latching mechanism. It def. takes two people otherwise pushing one side into the hole pops the other pin out. Even using the handles areas in the center of the car to pull done doesn't pop it into position. The pins are already making cuts into the plastic grommet seats from trying that. Anyone else having this proplem?? Suggested resolution? Does anyone know of an adjustment that can be made? Even if I took it to the dealer what could they do about the problem??

I had an original problem like this, with the right side needing to be pushed down from the outside. However, after having the soft top up for awhile (several weeks) I no longer have that problem. The top moves forward and links up with the top of the windshield easily. I assume that it just needed stretching.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I had the same problem when I 1st took the hard top off. Had to have someone on each side to push down so I could latch the soft top. Keep using it up and down it will stretch and get where you can latch from inside the car by youself.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359
Tag # 15AGAIN

Originally posted by Howlee:
Here is the situation. With the soft-top up, both windows down, and driving freeway speed. (55-65 mph). While looking in the rear view mirror, I see that it was partially blocked by the cloth insert that is in the soft-top storage area. It had ballooned up with the wind and obscured about a 1/3 of the rear window area that I could see. Has any one else had this happen, or is something wrong with mine?
I know, why is the top up, and the sun out. Its gets its bath this morning.
biggrin.gif

Haven't had our hardtop off yet for convertible driving so not sure I can help you as I haven't looked inside the well but the liner should not be lifting up as yours is. I would suggest looking in the well to see if there are fasteners for the liner. You may have to lift corners or edges to find. My Lebaron's top well liner is fastened in by snaps so I would suspect there are fasteners of some kind for the t-bird's well liner. May be a bit of a challenge to get back there and look though as there certainly is not as much room to move around in. Take your shoes off before you start!

------------------
the New T-bird

Thanks for replying. What a relief! Two people with the exact same problem which eventually goes away. My top is very tight for sure. Has anyone else had this problem and your still waiting for your top to stretch? How long have you been using the softtop? I have only had my car two weeks and have latched the soft top around 15 times(with help of course).

biggrin.gif
2K2Blue, The problem will go away after about a month of using the soft top. Mind did the same thing at first but I knew it would from the reports I read here and on BON. Now all I do is press the up button and everything falls right into place. I can latch it now with two fingers.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I found the following procedure works great

Raise the top as far as it will go with the up top button

Position the left and right latches under the lip where they attach and just snug up a little with the center releasing and locking latch

Push the lower top button slightly which will snug the top down into the final position which will allow you to completely lock it in place with the center latch button

Howlee - I don't think anyone responded to your original question. Make sure that the inside cloth piece is snapped in position. I didn't realize it had snaps until I had to find a place to stick the boot with golf clubs in the trunk. If unsnapped I believe it could blow up as you described.

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

Dot and rlstonejr, I find some snaps on the side panels that connect to the main piece, but no snaps in the center area, were they are needed. There are three snaps on each side, none in the middle. I felt around as far as I could reach under the main panel of cloth and could not feel anything that felt like it would have been used to hold it in place. I agree, this should not happen, because it does block my rear view, it is already small to begin with; having this happen, just makes it smaller. John

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

-

Dot and rlstonejr, I find some snaps on the side panels that connect to the main piece, but no snaps in the center area, were they are needed. There are three snaps on each side, none in the middle. I felt around as far as I could reach under the main panel of cloth and could not feel anything that felt like it would have been used to hold it in place. I agree, this should not happen, because it does block my rear view, it is already small to begin with; having this happen, just makes it smaller. John

I suggest taking it into the dealer and showing them the problem. They should be able to research if there are snaps in the middle. Can anybody else check this out for Howlee??

Howlee, I'm not sure but I will check mine as soon as the wife brings it home. Will let you know what I find.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Since I interrupted your original post I thought I would answer. I counted 7 snaps total with one in the middle. Sounds like you have the 3 on each side but your missing the middle snap.

Howlee, I'm not sure what to tell you, I did find the 3 on each side but did not fine any in the middle like 2K2blue did. This may have been changed somewhere thru the production run. Think we need some more input from more older and newer owners. Not when you bought your car but by your Vin #.
As for mine, I have no problem with this.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

gobird, I think your right. Mine being early like yours maybe do not have a middle snap. Like the clear tape for the hard top, I wander if all the newer birds have a snap in the middle. I don’t think it would be to hard to add, at least once access was made under the fabric.
2k2Blue, what is your serial number? This might give us a start.
And Dot, I haven’t said it before, congratulations on your blue & white finally getting here.
biggrin.gif
I hope to see your license plate at the top of the blue’s soon. And I will talk to my service guy this week. I broke the plastic on the side of my seat that holds the seat control, and a new one has been ordered last Friday. John

I felt what seemed like a middle snap but did not physically see it since it was hard to get back there. Maybe it was something else but it sure felt like the other snaps along the back edge. My vehicle was produced on May 16th.

If I may add to the discussion from those who had to push their tops down from the outside to get them within latching distance; I did this at first too, until I discovered that the surround for the center latch has a recess on either side that functions as a hand grip. Grabbing that, I can get more than enough downward pressure to engage the latches. Centers well too. Just wanted to add that in case any of you are missing that feature, as I did at first.

And Dot, I hope to see your license plate at the top of the blue’s soon. John
No plans to add our plate to the license plate page. We're not getting a personalized plate. Anybody new out there that has a personalized plate not pictured? be sure to send me a photo!

------------------
the New T-bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back