Side molding rust removal 1971

Okiebird

Okiebird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Had anyone ever dealt with the side molding with rust? I don't know if trying to remove the rust works, or just what has anyone done? Don't suppose you can buy exact replacement pieces?
IMG_20200815_193527907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you sure that’s rust, in the picture it looks like someone re glued the vinyl insert back in.
I agree it looks like glue not rust... Also the side molding is not steel. It's either tin, aluminum or maybe stainless (not likely however). Not sure. It doesn't rust. It pits and corrodes leaving holes. I know this because the trim on my 69 is pitted and in places its missing sections. Also as for getting trim replacements on a 71? Good luck. You will not find new ones. You would also be EXTREMELY lucky if there was reproduction replacements. Take a pick and pick at it to see if it comes off or flakes off.

I received a box full of trim when I bought my car some have vinyl some don’t but I couldn’t tell ya what all I have without a measurement if you need one

I received a box full of trim when I bought my car some have vinyl some don’t but I couldn’t tell ya what all I have without a measurement if you need one
I would appreciate finding out if you might have my size

Back