Sea Foam/Engine Not Run in Over a Year

dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My '57 was restored over a period of several years by a Ford dealership. The engine was totally rebuilt, I have copies of the invoices showing the work that was done.

Until we bought it last month, it had been sitting on the showroom floor as an attraction and the engine had not been started in over a year.

When we first brought it home, it was very had to start and then it ran awful. After 2 tankfuls of high octane and several cans of Sea Foam, it's starting much better and out on the highway, it's smooth.

Whenever I rev the engine up, the ground below where the exhaust pipes are is covered in black 'stuff'. Can I assume that this is Sea Foam at work cleaning the gunk out, or do I have other problems. There is zero smoke, just this black crud.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A compression test would be a good way of telling the condition of your engine. The black crud is most likely the carbon from the engine, cleaned out by the sea foam.

Thanks once again :) I don't have the tools to do a compression test but will get my shop to do that the next time I'm there. As I said, the engine is running 100% better just after 2 tank fulls and several cans of foam. I'll keep putting Sea Foam in there until the black crud is gone. According the Sea Foam's site, you can never put too much in, so I probably won't hurt anything with continued use.

Again, thanks.

Back