1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing my AOD transmission in my 97 LX.

Discussion in '1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird' started by Crzywyte90, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM.

1. Hey guys. What am I up against doing this in the garage without a lift? Impossible? Not recommended? Or just a pain? My transmission needs to come out, and there is a new one already built well and j-modded by monster transmissions. Am I getting into a disaster trying to replace the transmission without it being up on a lift? Let me know!

2. captrick

captrick Active Member Lifetime Donor

In my younger days I use to jack the car up high enough to slide the transmission user on a floor jack. I would put cement blocks under the tires to keep the car stable. I put a 2 x 4 vertically in the block so the car wouldn’t roll. Then I made a plate to fit on the jack where the cup on the arm would be so I had a flat surface for the tranny to sit. I welded a small piece of pipe to the bottom of the plate to put in the hole of the arm to keep it from sliding off the jack. As I became older and smarter I bought a lift and borrow a friends tranny jack. Good luck Rick

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!