Rear Windshield CRASHED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While attempting to put the top down I failed to realize that two tennis racquettes were in the top well. Wouldn't you know I heard a crunch, then a bunch of crunches as I stopped putting pressing the button. I put the top back up and BANG! The entire rear windshield fell two pieces. I'm taking it the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to wait long for a new piece of glass. I'm just reminding you all that before you put the top down, make sure that there's nothing in the well where the top stacks. I don't think any of you should feel as awful as we do now. Luckily, no one got hurt, except the 'bird.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Bummer deal. Hope it doesn't set you back too much. Let us know how much they charge you to fix it.

Going west on I-40 last night at about 8:45 to get a hot fudge sunday a car come whizzing by in the fast lane and made a 3 lane change right in front of us to catch the Bell Street exit. As he crossed in front of us he threw up a rock and rock chipped our windshield just above the parked wiper blade directly in front of the driver. Had we not decieded on a evening ice cream our baby would be in the garage un-scathed. At least it is fixable and not as bad as JRElvis rear glass. Sorry about the mishap JRElvis, but thanks for the heads up.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

The day we picked up our bird a stone chipped the windshield. We had it repaired rather than replaced. If you look close you can see the repair, but it is not in our normal line of vision. We are pleased with the repair and was covered by my insurance. If at all possible. I would avoid a windshield replacement.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

Lon- Since you are in the service department I guess you already know about having the "glass doctor" fill in the chip to prevent a crack in the winter.

10-4, appointment is set for 9:30 am for windshield to be repaired.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

JRElvis,
Thanks for your friendly reminder. My top goes up and down pretty frequently, and I have a simple mental routine I go through each time (for example, make sure the windows are down at least part-way when raising the top). I will add checking the well to my little routine. I suppose the smarter thing is to NEVER put anything back there! I wish you well in getting your glass replaced in a way that makes your T-bird just like brand-new. Thanks again for your post.

Originally posted by fdthird:
I have to agree...the best bet is never use the area for storage!

You may all take me for a moron but the racquettes were not put there intentionally. I would never consider using them for storage. I feel like I'm at a Ford dealer with a bunch of hostile servicemen..(no offense). I'm just letting everyone know that they should look out for that!

Sorry Bud...did not mean to offend. I have just seen so many people with converts think that the well was great added storage space (especialy over the winter months).

I didn't mean to sound like those dolts at the dealer who love to state the obvious ("You know you gotta put the car in Park before you try to pull the key out"..actually had a Volvo dealer tell me that when I couldn't get the key out of a '95 850).

Sorry again...hope the Bird is whole and flying again!

FDIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back