1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

Passenger Door Lock

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by artlewi, Jun 10, 2014.

1. The electric door locking/unlocking system, in the passenger door, is sporadically working on my 2002 bird. I can unlock the door using the inside handle and it always locks using the electric system. However, most of the time it will not fully unlock using the electric system. The manual button nest to the window appears to move some but will not come up all of the way.Has anyone had this experience? Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

2. Yep. Having the same problem. It's the lock actuator insode the door. It appears to be a common problem with Fords.

3. Thank you. I guess I will have to order a new one and install it.

4. e2j

e2j Supporting Contributor Lifetime Donor

Did you replace it? If so, how big a problem was it?

5. I just replaced mine (passenger side) a couple of weeks ago. It took me about 2 hours from start to finish. I went very slow in removing the door trim because I didn't want to break anything. I bought a new actuator from eBay for $8 bucks. The shape of the new actuator might look different than original, but it mounts in the bracket perfectly and that's what counts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Passenger-Side-Front-or-Rear-Power-Door-Lock-Actuator-For-Ford-Lincoln-Mercury/302237043481?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From a scale of 1 (add washer fluid) to 10 (rebuild engine), I would rate this job as 2 to 3 if you're mechanical incline and like to tinker. You do need torx bits to remove door panel and door lock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. e2j

e2j Supporting Contributor Lifetime Donor

Thanks for the info.
    Will give it a shot.

7. Great pics, Andy.

8. Thanks Vinnie!

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!