Painted wheel center caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickdraw

Quickdraw

2004 Member of the Year
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A cheap way to add a nice touch to your bird is painting the wings on your center caps. The paint is available at most hobby & craft shops or here on the web:

http://www.plaidonline.com/productD...ID=&keywords=&New=False&Closeout=False&page=5

After allowing the paint to dry a couple of days I laquered over the wings. The paint, Patina #444 appears too green on my monitor but is an almost perfect match to the wings on the steering wheel.

Attachments

• hubpainted.jpg
    hubpainted.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 147

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Quickdraw
A cheap way to add a nice touch to your bird is painting the wings on your center caps. The paint is available at most hobby & craft shops or here on the web:

http://www.plaidonline.com/productD...ID=&keywords=&New=False&Closeout=False&page=5

After allowing the paint to dry a couple of days I laquered over the wings. The paint, Patina #444 appears too green on my monitor but is an almost perfect match to the wings on the steering wheel.

I've been thinking about painting mine yellow with my touch-up paint. I think that would be pretty nice.

Yes, that would be nice too - to match the exterior paint. The first time I painted mine the paint came off as soon as I hit it with a high pressure stream of soapy water at the car wash. The second time I cleaned the cap with alcohol and, like I said, coated the whole wing with clear laquer.

That looks great Quickdraw, what color do you think would look good on my whisper white?

Sophia, it would be a toss-up between whisper white or the regular Thunderbird blue wings. Note the paint I mentioned above is not a match for the 2002 Thunderbird blue exterior paint but rather matches the turquoise color of the steering wheel wing emblem.

The only color I don't think I would like to match the body color with is red - seems like any color but red would go in the wings. Be sure to clean any wax off the center caps (alcohol) before you apply paint.

I am going to paint my hub caps with the red and see how it looks. I can always change it to the Thunderbird blue like rest of the car's wings if it is too hideous.

trpar,

Please post a photo of the red... the thin red line might work. I assume your car is red or black? With red painted calipers that could look really sweet.

Quickdraw,

Yes, it is a Torch Red/Torch Red/Black Ink 2003. Still waiting on the touch-up paint from the dealer and don't know when I will get around to the job, but I will post a pic when I get it done.

I need to do the calipers also. What paint would you recommend for that? (Red of course, but what brand are folks using and where can I find it.)

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited:
Red/Red/Black Ink 2003: if its a Premium model its one of only 264 made like that.

If you do paint the calipers you’re more dedicated than I am…. Too much hassle to remove the wheels at home and paint them. Keeping them clean isn’t going to be a cake walk either but they sure would look nice.

Heres a couple of leads for caliper paint from a google search:
http://wheelskin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=G2+CALIPER+PAINT

http://www.machv.com/brakcalpaink.html

Or search ebay for the same two words: caliper paint

Thanks Quickdraw. Yes, I know the calipers will be quite a pain. Maybe I can just do them a pair at a time. But there is a lot of other work to do too. The only thing I have done is put on the logo valve caps.:) I have several other small things as well to do like the port hole emblems, license plate frame etc.

Thanks for the info. Yes it is a Premium model. Good to know it is one of 264. I posted the VIN on your other thread re build date. Haven't checked back yet as I figured it would take a few days but thanks in advance for that also. You're a big help and I am sure everyone here appreciates it.

trpar,

I painted the calipers on my Corvette a few years ago and never regretted it. They stayed remarkably clean and really showed off the chrome wheels. I think it would be a little too much red for our cars, though.

I, too, have an '03 Torch Red/White/Black Ink Thunderbird and am going to try my hand at painting the center caps as well. When you do, post a picture!

Cheers,
Charles -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back