oil temp? 2003 t-bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is weird...after a few days in the cold garage, my '03 T-Bird w/45,000 miles wouldn't start. It just whined, without firing. After I determined that the battery was charged, but still wouldn't crank the motor, I had to have it towed to my mechanic.
He was able to get it started by flooring the gas...but it smoked like crazy for a few seconds, then ran normally. He kept it for a few days to see if it would repeat the event; but it ran fine from then on. He said that the plugs had been fouled by engine oil; the amount of oil in the cylinders temporarily raised the compression so much that the starter wouldn't turn it over. The car's computer gave a high oil temperature reading; but after it started, the code was cleared.
We couldn't figure out how oil got in the cylinders; if it had really been a broken ring or valve guide it would still smoke. I'm concerned that the problem could recur. Any ideas?:eek:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This is something I haven't heard before. Please keep us tuned in if you have other issues of this kind or find resolution. Thanks for posting it, and good luck!

This is weird...after a few days in the cold garage, my '03 T-Bird w/45,000 miles wouldn't start. It just whined, without firing. After I determined that the battery was charged, but still wouldn't crank the motor, I had to have it towed to my mechanic.
He was able to get it started by flooring the gas...but it smoked like crazy for a few seconds, then ran normally. He kept it for a few days to see if it would repeat the event; but it ran fine from then on. He said that the plugs had been fouled by engine oil; the amount of oil in the cylinders temporarily raised the compression so much that the starter wouldn't turn it over. The car's computer gave a high oil temperature reading; but after it started, the code was cleared.
We couldn't figure out how oil got in the cylinders; if it had really been a broken ring or valve guide it would still smoke. I'm concerned that the problem could recur. Any ideas?:eek:

Not sure how and why the computer showed a high oil temp. Seems to me that if temps got hot, then it would show high oil and water temps!! Maybe I mis-understood mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back