Oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
I just took my car in to the dealer for its first oil change at 2300 miles. Since the car was new, I've checked the oil level every week. The picture of the dipstick in the manual shows two holes with some "cross-scoring" marks between the holes. "Max" and "Min" are written near the holes. The dipstick on my car looks slightly different. The "scoring" marks stop about 3/8 of an inch short of the "Max" hole. The oil level (since new) has always been at the top end of the "scoring" marks--that is, 3/8 inch below the "Max" hole.

After being charged for 7 quarts of oil (the book says 6 quarts), I asked the dealer to check the oil level. The level is now 1/8 of an inch above the "Max" hole. The dealer claims this is fine--I wonder. The book says never fill above the maximum.

Any comments or advice? Should I insist that some oil be removed? Do I have a defective dipstick with incorrect markings? Help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well from my understanding of oillevels which is only on old engines, it is fine to be a little over. The problem comes when you are grossly over. If he were to fill your engine to say 1" above teh max then be concerned, but small amount don't matter. Its all going to the same place anyways. ;)

Thanks for the input, guys. Next time you check your oil, I'd appreciate it if you would see if your dipstick looks like the one in the owners book or the one I have described in my earlier post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back