Notes on fan position 1956.

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In trying to prep my car for a 1 1/2 hour parade in 95 degrees, I looked into moving my fan to a position 1/4 inch outside of the fan shroud. It was currently about 1/4 inch behind the shroud. I started by mounting a anemometer in the middle of the grill to get a baseline of my current air flow through the radiator. I set the engine after warm up to run at 600 rpm in gear. This setting resulted in a very stable running engine. I then removed the one inch fan spacer and replaced it with a 1/2 inch spacer. I couldn't go more because the fan would interfere with the power steering and the engine damper but it did move the fan to around 1/4 inch out. I tried a few things in the process. First I couldn't see any change by popping the hood open but no question you could feel a lot of heat coming through the gap. The gain by moving the fan was right at 10% greater air flow but almost no change if I ran the engine in park with the rpm going to 800. Should be interesting to see if I can go for 1 1/2 hours at idle without over heating. As a back up position I can turn on the heater and run the blower motor on high. I have most of the mods that I know about such as a 6 blade fan, the high volume water pump, the small water pump pulley, aluminum radiator, Chris Ames spacer, and the large thermostat. With these mods the car stays at no greater than 190 going uphill or 75 on the freeway. I have had it idle for around one hour but the gauge was slowly rising to around half way. Just not sure what is going to happen with a extra 1/2 hour at idle speeds in our heat wave.
The back story on why I'm in the parade you might find interesting. I was at a local car show and a man came up to me and asked if I could drive a 80 year old lady in my bird in the town parade. It turns out when she was young her dad owned a radio station here in Salt Lake City and the dad had a relationship with the Beach Boys as they would come to Utah quite often and come to his station. One time he was driving them back to the airport and mention that he had to take his t-bird away from his daughter because she told him she was going to the U of U to study but instead went to the local hamburger drive in to hangout with her friends. On their flight home they wrote our now iconic T-Bird song. (Fun Fun Fun) One thing according to a news paper account I read her dad's t-bird was really a early 1960 model. I guess they couldn't find a convertible of that vintage so enter my 1956.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Gee, that’s a cool story. As soon as I read the line about taking the t-bird from his daughter….that song played in my head.
You seem to have all of the known mods completed. I have the modified spacer but have not yet installed it along with the high volume water pump. I have let the ‘57 run for near 40 minutes at about 800 rpm with no real overheating issues …but I do get a bit nervous now that I am older and just do not wish to be stuck somewhere on the shoulder of a road when my air-conditioned pickup with those seat coolers can be so convenient.

We have a hot stretch coming… I may try to push the envelope this week and see what happens. I’m sure you have your timing set and measured temps along the way so…good luck

This gentleman has a video on remaking the fan shroud and it is excellent …. I just can’t seem to find it

Last edited:
That is a kool story
You may find that it will help when stopped to put the car in neutral so the engine rpm will increase
That is if you have an automatic

Parade update.
The Fun Fun Fun lady was a real fireball. She had a number of stories to tell. The best news for me was the parade was a hour long in 90 degree heat and the car temp didn't go past 190. I must say I think what helped the most was turning the blower to high at the start of the parade. The lady couldn't feel it because she was setting up on the trunk, but I could feel the heat on my feet. Glad when the parade was over because hearing that song played loud and over and over for one hour was about 45 minutes too long.

Although I haven't taken any measurements, I've read that the lower OEM shroud is ill-fitting. Have you considered using Casco's lower shroud? I intend to, but honestly can't say what I'll gain.

This gentleman on YouTube: Dick Shaw has a very impressive fabrication of the ‘57 fan shroud. I wish I could find it but maybe anyone really interested will search and watch it. He did a fantastic job. My thought…. If your putting in the 100% effort to control heat, then he has it covered.

Although I haven't taken any measurements, I've read that the lower OEM shroud is ill-fitting. Have you considered using Casco's lower shroud? I intend to, but honestly can't say what I'll gain.
I used CASCO's lower shroud, but since I didn't have any heating issues can't say whether it gained that much. Fit very good

Where did you find this shorter spacer? Or did you simply buy the stock part and mill it down?
I mean, yes, I can find shorter ones, but not that *look* like the stock part...that's really why I was asking. Is there a shorter one that *looks* correct?

Back