New way to install 390FE rear main seals?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A motorhead friend of mine told me he does not use factory seals on sides of rear main seal retainer block. Instead of the seals installed on sides that slide in or have the nails driven in to expand after install, he just uses a good quality sealant. He fills the side grooves with a quality sealant, slides retainer block down in place and leaves a minute gap between the halves. Finally the tapered sealant tip is inserted into groove above and hydraulically filled until it comes out bottom between halves. Rear main block is torqued and any errant sealant is razor blade trimmed with a razor after it dries. Other than making the rear main retainer block difficult to remove at next overhaul (decades from now) I see no reason not to do it on my current refresh overhaul. I think it is a great idea as two weak spots on 390FE engines are rear main and intake manifold leaks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The only thing that would bother me using that method would be that excessive amounts of sealant can be pushed into the inside of the engine and if dislodged and in a worst case situation, can make its way into and through the oil pump where it can eventually plug or stop up an oil galley in the block or crankshaft.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I had a little trouble with the nails going in all the way flush. One side did well other side not. Started over with new seal and had similar trouble on opposite side so just trimmed the nail and filled the exposed end of the nail groove with rtv. Been running for a year and no signs of leaks.

Back