New Home for My Thunderbirds

knuckle47

knuckle47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This may come across the wrong way and in no way intended to. While I had run a small motorcycle restoration shop on the side out of a 2 car garage, I also housed my own 11 vintage motorcycles in that space. It was always tight, always cramped and so many nights ii had to wheel out some of my bikes to make room for a frame and engine assembly or some other re-assembly of parts. I could never afford the extra garage space. I’d wanted one desperately but persevered and squeezed in and out of spaces…and essentially got it done. Back in the 1990’s a great restored vintage American bike sold for $12-30,000.00 unless it was rare and unusual. I’d had a few but took the family on several cruises, Disney and new furniture ( kept my wife happy). I was spending many days, weekends and evenings tinkering so I felt it was a trade-off.

Now I really wish it was 25 years ago but better late than never. The doors get installed next week and the extra wide and tall 4 post lift arrives mid-August. Today, the cement is drying. Those t-birds move in next Saturday

06E9EF6B-1CEF-4E73-9601-DA8BD16AA3D6.jpeg9824B04F-E7A1-4A1D-9C7D-5E11F6966519.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This may come across the wrong way and in no way intended to. While I had run a small motorcycle restoration shop on the side out of a 2 car garage, I also housed my own 11 vintage motorcycles in that space. It was always tight, always cramped and so many nights ii had to wheel out some of my bikes to make room for a frame and engine assembly or some other re-assembly of parts. I could never afford the extra garage space. I’d wanted one desperately but persevered and squeezed in and out of spaces…and essentially got it done. Back in the 1990’s a great restored vintage American bike sold for $12-30,000.00 unless it was rare and unusual. I’d had a few but took the family on several cruises, Disney and new furniture ( kept my wife happy). I was spending many days, weekends and evenings tinkering so I felt it was a trade-off.

Now I really wish it was 25 years ago but better late than never. The doors get installed next week and the extra wide and tall 4 post lift arrives mid-August. Today, the cement is drying. Those t-birds move in next Saturday

View attachment 23175View attachment 23176
You are absolutely correct. That's a great addition for you. Glad you now have a place to house your T-Birds. Two thumbs up.

@OhioTbird That’s is excellent advice. My friend bought a new car about 8 months ago and as it stuttered and came to a stop, he looked into the engine compartment and saw the “mice” disaster. We live in some rural spots in NJ ( I know that’s hard to believe) and critters are everywhere. He’s a peppermint oil guy and I just suggested to him to try these sensor strobe lights under the hood as well. It was a $1700 repair and massive inconvenience. I have taken a few serious steps to seal the doors on this building so I am hoping for the best.

I did get a few of the magnetic sensor driven strobes… they are not expensive….just in case the extra effort pays off. I did see a demo of these strobes in action and the critters who did approach did scatter as the lights flashed. As for peppermint, I use kids bubble gum toothpaste as I can’t stand mint ;) so handling the spills and smell of peppermint oil doesn’t sit well with me

57C857A1-0E87-4933-BD6D-DDCC7856E3FE.jpeg45EBA56C-E533-4888-8F5C-C0D37E7DACAA.jpegB754AE8D-1249-4A0A-99F8-E3329FC5FE29.jpeg
The power gets connected next week, everything is done and I just had to see what it was like for the first time in 44 years, to actually park in a garage… IT’S BEEN A LONG TIME COMIN’

Once the crushed concrete is spread out, the pad would be level with the ground but…. I couldn’t wait!

Last edited:
I also had many great years with bikes.
We recently had an AMCA National Meet here in Greenfield, MA
Not quite as good as Rhinebeck, NY but maybe as the years roll on the event will grow.
Now I'm moving back into cars.

That’s interesting…. I had gone for years from the meets in NJ to Oley, Pa and made it to Ohio and Idaho but as I have gotten older, I love riding but won’t. Everyone I see at any point on the road….IS LOOKING AT THE CELL PHONE.

Even bother me when I take the cars out that they are going to plow into me being so pre-occupied

Yeah, our world is changing for sure. The computer telephones are a scary tool,
It's a tool that can do too many things. Take it easy.

View attachment 23175View attachment 23176
Great looking.

Thanks… I have been gradually transferring stuff to the pole barn… it’s a 220’ round trip and after 10 to 15 trips, Im wiped out and by the end of a few hours, even the empty boxes are a bit much to carry. But it’s filling up quickly

2944414E-E69E-4EAC-962C-7B034DB7553A.jpeg40538C2B-5732-4C4F-A646-EECA786791B5.jpeg

Just watch out for mice. Hate those b*#stards.
I've heard dryer sheets do wonders for keeping them away. I have a cat and several others in the neighborhood so not an issue here. A few squirrels but no chance of them trying to hide nuts in the exhaust pipes.

Back