New Bra

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
I installed the Ford "front end cover" yesterday. It's in two sections and comes with useless instructions. The lower piece is a very tight fit, but it looks good and gives a lot of protection. The upper piece is another story. It attaches with bungie cords to the inside of the hood. The first time I closed the hood, one of the hooks broke, making the piece unusable. This piece only protects the first five or six inches of the hood, so I'm thinking of not using it. Any thoughts?

P.S. Universal Fact--it's much easier to take a bra off than it is to put it back on.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by sauernote:
I installed the Ford "front end cover. It's in two sections and comes with useless instructions. The lower piece is a very tight fit, but it looks good and gives a lot of protection. The upper piece is another story. It attaches with bungie cords to the inside of the hood. The first time I closed the hood, one of the hooks broke, making the piece unusable. This piece only protects the first five or six inches of the hood, so I'm thinking of not using it. Any thoughts?

The hooks broke off the bungie cords on mine the second time I used it. I was going on a trip so I made some hooks from a piece of a coat hanger. (taking it back to Ford parts dept this week)
You are certainly correct about the useless instructions that come with it.
Since the top portion is so easy to put on AND does protect the hood, I would say take it back for exchange (or just replace the hooks with a piece from a coat hanger). I know, and agree, that one shouldn't have to do that but......

-

-

The one bad stone chip I have is exactly in that area of the hood covered by the bra. that is why I bought the bra and use it on long trips (and love bug season). the chip has been filled in with paint (actually overfilled) and will always be noticeable by anyone looking closely, until I have the entire hood repainted. agree the instructions were poor. no problem with hooks.

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

I returned my first bra (with the broken hook on one of the bungie cords) and tried its replacement today. I installed the upper piece first...slowly, I lowered the hood and SNAP, there goes a hook, this time on the opposite side from the first one. At that point, I thought I'd just replace the hooks as was suggested by "greyfox11."

So, I went ahead and tried to install the lower piece and no matter how much I pulled and stretched, it would not fit. (The original lower piece was tight but fit perfectly. Unfortunately, it had to be returned along with the defective upper piece.)

I'm going to give up on the Ford bra at this point and get my money back. Has anyone tried the bra listed at www.roadstersolutions.com? This is the company that is making the soft boot cover (still waiting for mine). From looking at their website, the bra does not have the t-bird emblem, but otherwise looks good. Any advice?

I INSTALLED MY FORD BRA THIS AFTERNOON. TOOK ABOUT 20 MINUTES. YOU GUYS ARE 1000% RIGHT, THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TOTALY USELESS. WHAT ARE YOU GUYS PUTTING ON THE BRA TO 'SLICK IT UP' TO WASH OFF THE BUGS EASIER?? HAPPY MOTORING!! 02TBIRD

-

-

UPDATE
Before returning my second "defective" bra to Ford, I put the whole thing out in the sun for an hour to see if it would stretch enough to get the d**m thing on. With some effort, the lower piece finally went on. First problem solved.

Now I had the problem of the upper piece with its broken hook. As many have noted, the instructions are a joke. The picture shows the hooks going in a slot on the underside of the hood. The reason I have broken two hooks on two separate "front end covers" is that the long (and obvious) slot is the wrong place! There is a piece on the body that fits up into this slot and neatly slices off anything in its way. The correct slot seems to be the small one, slightly inboard from the larger one. I put a metal S hook through the loop on the broken side and carefully closed the trunk. Nothing broke! I think I will replace the other plastic hook with metal because there is quite a bit of tension on the cords.

Advice to potential Ford bra users: Don't use the longer slots for the bungie cords, and consider replacing the hooks.

Happy motoring.

I installed the Ford Bra and also broke a plastic hook. A better replacement than a piece of coat hanger, is to use a length of # 10 insulated ground wire. Bend the ground wire in the shape of an S. Remove the remander of the plastic hook from the bungee and replace with the new S hook. The insulation on the wire will prevent scratches where they attach. I agree that the directions from Ford are useless, but the bra fits O.K.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

Originally posted by 02tbird:
I INSTALLED MY FORD BRA THIS AFTERNOON. TOOK ABOUT 20 MINUTES. YOU GUYS ARE 1000% RIGHT, THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TOTALY USELESS. WHAT ARE YOU GUYS PUTTING ON THE BRA TO 'SLICK IT UP' TO WASH OFF THE BUGS EASIER??
303 Protectant. Good coat of it on the bra and the bugs will wipe off very easily with a damp cloth (microfiber preferred since it will leave no lint on the black surface.
I have been using it on the bra for months now and am still amazed (pleased) at how easy the bugs come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back