Nope,

I'll stick with my TBird:

Better styling
Better ride
More comfortable
Better price
Smoother engine
Nicer people

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Gary Whitaker:
I guess that any line of car will produce a couple with bugs, but the M3 I test drove (manual) at the dealers had a smooth idle. For those interested, you can buy it at Prestige BMW in Paramus at list-titantium white with grey leather. I passed on it because I want the SMG.

So are you trying to say that the car the manufacturer turns over to Car and Driver or Autoweek might be a lemon? If you owned a company and wanted to turn over your product to a reviewer, don't you think you would test it out yourself to make sure it was the best specimen?

Tbird

Gary, I made an offer to you last summer for you to see mine in White Plains. You didn't show up, you didn't respond. Go back to BON and vent over there.

Afternoon folks,first off lemme start by saying I do love the new T-Bird.I have no complaints with the style at all.Infact all the current autos on the market harkening back to past legendary styling are nice looking machines.I also do not own a new T-Bird nor can I at this point...simply a matter of cost.

That is what I was wanting to discuss.In the sense of the vehicle and what it costs to purchase(over MSRP totally aside),I believe all 2002 current owners and those waiting have been "taken" so to speak.This is NOT implying that any of you are fools or whatever for paying what you did...wether on a markup or not.But rather that I think all of you are victims of corporate greed.

You see,about three and a half years ago,I began searching and considering purchasing a 3rd vehicle....something for fun and to serve as a backup for our other two vehicles...definently a winter garage sitter unless as mentioned before,backup is required.At that time...the beginning of the "affordable" retros fashion began.I was very impressed with all three designs at the time being shown.The PT as a confirmed production,the T-Bird not 100% confirmed but close...and the upcoming Chevy SSR which had been shown but not confirmed as a production.We all know the PT settled in at about $16,500 base price prior to dealer markups.The SSR...who knew..because no confirmation for production had even been given then.And then the T-Bird.....As soon as the T-Bird was confirmed,I went to the dealer for any available information.They couldn't tell me to much...no surprise,BUT they did tell me a base price of $25,000 dollars.This was later "confirmed" by several leading auto mags that said the same...Car and Driver I believe even herralded it as the "rebirth of the affordable luxury two seat roadster"or something like that.Now this price put it well within reach.Later as the SSR was confirmed...so Chevy announced the same...a base of approximately $25 grand...appearently to compete with the T-Bird...if not in design,then in cost.This left me a choice of three neat designs that more than fit what I wanted.

Now though,enter the corporate giant...as the demand for info and interest grew so did the base price.Now we have a base of around $36,000 grand and a top of the line around $39,000.This unfortunately knocked it off my scope so to speak.The SSR hadn't shifted posible price yet.BUT once T-Bird orders began to be taken and Chevy saw how fast they were going(especially the much talked about Niemun Marcus phone sales)Chevy then began to shift the price.Now the darn SSR sits with no hard number for a price yet BUT the head of SSR developement has said officially the price will fall between the top of the line Camaro Z-28 Convertable(around 32K) and a Corvette Z06(roughly 55K) leading to most car enthusiast accepting a base of $40,000 or so_Once again knocked off my radar scope of affordability.This was also a disapointment but well after my actual purchase that I went with.

As far as the T-Bird goes...what ticks me off for you lucky owners is Ford Motor Company and the appraoch taken with all of you.If they could have made a decent profit with this car at $25k(same with Chevy)they should have left it there.Instead they saw a chance to take what they could get(I know this is capatalism but still it is not right.)and they did.How ever they did not appearently from many posts that I have seen figure in better quality and design in some places for the extra $10,000 they finally settled on.At $36,000 dollars,no one and I mean NO ONE should have to settle for a luxury car with orange peel on ANY part of the car.The fit and finsh should be one of the most researched,thought out and delivered upon item of a car designated the Flagship of the Line.Ford has NO EXCUSE for that.The same will be for the SSR.Heck,$40,000 in the mid seventies would have bought a nice(not neccisarilly big)home.

What I purchased was delivered as it was advertised.Nothing more nothing less.I got every option available at the time(except leather interior-really do not like leather)and rolled it off the lot for exactly $20,683 dollars.What I got is extremly solid.Has excellent fit and finish(including no orange peel even on plastic fascia pieces)and a very enjoyable drive.No recalls yet either or trips for maintenace other than oil changes.Plus after almost two years now(May 15th will be it's two year anniversary)I still get thumbs ups,waves,and compliments.Now if one company can deliver as originally promised(dealer markups and shake downs aside)why can't they all?I am just really frustrated for you guys on that whole issue.You guys either already own or are waiting on a very beautiful machine.You guys have paitently put up with alot to get them...now the very least Ford could do is deliver as close to perfection as can be.They want to recapture there title as the world leader of autos they need to start with realizing once again the customer(and I do not mean the dealer)comes first.

Now as I said,I do not own a 2002 T-Bird but would certainly love to.But we have three reliable vehicles...two brand new and one a trustworthy old beater.So I cannot afford one.But I hope you will not mind my occasional posting in here.For even though I do not own one I am still an enthusiast.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

Not talking about a "sports car" here...I was talking about Ford failing to deliver what they promised....a $25K LUXURY two door roadster....big difference than a sports car.I never once said a sports car.And the Mustang is fine IF you want something hundreds of thousands already own.

InfernoRed
smile.gif

Exclusivity usually costs something extra. When and IF Ford reported a price of $25,000, it was a preliminary. As production estimates ramp up, costs are firmed up and a more accurate number is arrived at. Alot of it has to do with market placement, if this is a limited production vehicle with a market looking for exclusivity, then the price will go up accordingly. Although I didn't read the article, I would suspect that it was very early in the game and somewhat optomistic reporting by the magazine, and was not a direct Ford quote.

Now hold on a minute here Rlstonejr.....what is "your kind" anyway?Define that would you.If you would kindly read my post...you would see that I love the T-Bird alot.I was not knocking anyone purchaseing one or did you miss that?What I WAS knocking is the overall Ford Motor Company marketing strategy on this car.That is all.Yes I do own a PT...so what?I have an avid enthusiasm for many American makes of autos.As to the "your kind" you want to know what "kind" I belong to???I belong to the "kind" generally listed as an American...with all the freedoms involved in that title...INCLUDING being able to come into an OPEN FORUM might I point out and discuss autos with folks of the same interesst.So why don't you get the heck off your self appointed highhorse and get your temper under some control.If you would have simply read without trying to impose things between the lines you THOUGHT you saw...then maybe you would simply have seen in my longwinded way what I was trying to get across.

InfernoRed

IR,

If you go back and look as some of the previous posts on this thread I think you will find that rlstonejr is one of the more open minded here, he was just pointing out that not all are.

jodrod...thankyou for pointing that out...I stand corrected.So I offer an honest apology to rlstonejr if I took his message out of context.....my mistake not his.I am kind of cranky when I get off work in the morning and being this is about the only time I get to participate in this type of stuff I sometimes see things that are not there.Once again I apologize to rlstonejr AND anyone else who I might have offended.

InfernoRed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back