Need help restoring 1956 T-bird

N

NedInSeattle

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently inherited a partially restored 1956 T-bird due to a death in the family. The body seems to be restored, I have most of the parts (but am sure I am missing some), the engine is in it, but not sure what the current state is. Does anyone know if any companies that take on projects like these? Ideally in the Pacific North West. Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check with the local T-Bird Club, or any major car club or hotrod association. Also search the web for car shows and typically they will have resto shops as advertisers. Ask for references to check their quality and how long they've been in business. There are tons of these type of restoration shops out there, make sure you have very deep pockets.

Hi ,
Congratulations on you recent acquisition. Be advised that there are a number of horror stories that start out just like yours. Unless you are skilled in some type of auto restoration, I would follow the advice given above to find a local T-Bird chapter and then hire someone reputable in the business of T-Bird restoration to view the parts you have and their condition, determine what is missing, help you determine what level or restoration you want: safe driver or concourse restoration, and finally to develop a detailed work scope that you can use with the potential restorer so that you can get a realistic restoration price and time estimate. Some time and money spent up front can save you a lot of money and heartache later on as you may be spending many thousands of dollars depending on what you want the finished car to be like. There are very many definitions of "restoration" an everything costs more and takes longer than one would think.

Good luck,
Doug

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll try to join the local chapter and get plugged into the tbird community to get some information/recommendations.

I believe John Sailors in Hillsboro Oregon does restoration work. The last number I had for him is 503-648-7250

Back