Need help installing a 1967 Mustang master cylinder in a 1964 bird

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I purchased a 1967 Mustang master cylinder, specifications were power brakes four wheel drums. There are two different size outlets on master cylinder 0.500 port with large orifice and 0.400 port with smaller orifice. Since the older cars did not have compensator valves I guess they balanced the braking with different sized ports and orifices? I am guessing the larger orifice goes to the rear brakes? I would appreciate any knowledge on this matter and possibly a list of specifications for T fittings and adaptors. I am stumped but determined to see this through.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I purchased a 1967 Mustang master cylinder, specifications were power brakes four wheel drums. There are two different size outlets on master cylinder 0.500 port with large orifice and 0.400 port with smaller orifice. Since the older cars did not have compensator valves I guess they balanced the braking with different sized ports and orifices? I am guessing the larger orifice goes to the rear brakes? I would appreciate any knowledge on this matter and possibly a list of specifications for T fittings and adaptors. I am stumped but determined to see this through.
There is a guy you can call 1 217 882 2083
He deals in Mustang brakes, steering, and, brake systems. Tell him what you are doing and he will have what you need.
Over at www.vintage-mustang.com his screen name is Chockostang.
Tell him 2+2=GT350 sent ya

There is always more force applied to the front brakes so it's not the size as much as distribution. The compensating valve was used with disc brakes. I guess you could find out what the percentage ratio was front to back. I think one of the factors was weight distribution.

i put one in a 65 with front disk brakes and proportioning valve. it was an easy bolt in other than having to put a small notch in the brace from shock tower to firewall and adding a brake line from m/c to proportioning valve. i would think you could ad the proportioning valve to your current system. you also have to bench bleed the m/c. hope this helps.

Hi, I used a mc from a 68 Camaro from drums so had to find the fittings. The sizes are 9/16 18 and 1/2 20 is what mine are and are quite common. The front went to the front and the rear to the rear. That’s what I found to be the way they work - so larger port rear, not what you’d think.

Back