Need help choosing a thermal clutch fan for 1955 T-Bird

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like some help choosing a thermal fan for my Bird. It has the 292 with manual trans. It has a flex on it now but can't keep it cool (mainly at low speed, and is about 1/8 to 1/4 out of the shroud). I had the radiator cleaned, new fluid, new 180 thermostat. I believe the fan size is 18" now. The thermal fan should help as hotter air goes thru, the harder the fan locks up pulling more air. The different makers, Flex-a-lite, Hayden, Four Seasons and also the size and number of blades on the fan will help me make the choice.

So if someone has done the replacement (with good results) please let me know what you used as part replacement.....Thanks for your help....

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are many factors that contribute to the engine running hot when idling, the spacer for the water pump doesn’t allow the water to flow, there is a gentleman in Arizona that has a modified spacer that allows flow at idle. They make a high output water pump that has a second set of blades inside the spacer side of the pump, they recommend a wide mouth thermostat to use with it. They also sell a reduced size pully for the water pump belt. You can also block the bypass to help force the water through the engine. The biggest difference maker is an aluminum radiator.

I looked at the article on clogging, mine motor was rebuilt 3 years ago and has anti-freeze in it all the time. It has the spacer plate on the w/p to redirect water flow at a higher rate. I am with you on the radiator, just the old design will not cool this motor in Arizona. I do not want the noise of an electric fan, but maybe it would only come on at idle or slow cruise, and the the aluminum radiator does not look right. I will keep checking and thanks for some ideas on cooling....

I have mine wired through a temp switch, it comes on above 190 degrees.
The benefit of the aluminum radiator is It’s strength . Copper transfers heat better. The aluminum rad flows more air and transfers more heat because the air passages and water passages are larger.
Right now mine is running too cool. I will run it through the summer before I make any changes.

I will consider what your running. Too cool is good and you can always work back up to the 170-180 range where the engine run best for efficiency. If you have the time shoot a photo up, like to see the setup.....

Back