My '97 is in the shop

I
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
on my way to class the engine started to sputter and shake like a washing machine. The oil was dry and I had it towed to the shop while it was still able to turn over. One spark plug came up dirty, and the code read two misfires. Id filled the oil two weeks ago, so obviously theres a bad leak somewhere, and a couple of the rods must have fried.
The mechanic says "I replace engines, not fix them. Itll be two grand to replace your 6.4 V8."

Id rather see it fixed than junked, so I came here hoping for advice. I'm not opposed to a V6, or something compatible, but at the end of the day buying another used car for a grand, in my state, would still cost another grabd to get on the road after all my states taxes and fees (Taxachusetts).

Please help! Shes been my baby for two years and I dont want to see her go.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Why don't you look into Ford Racing and pick up one of their crate motors. They have a wide selection to chose from starting at MILD and going to Wild. It might cost a little bit more but now you are starting with a brand new motor with a Ford guarantee, which I think is 12,000 miles or 24 months. Good Luck

Upon catastrophic engine failure the least expensive option is to replace the engine with a used known good 4.6 Windsor engine.

Back