Manual Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new to the game here and need some help understanding why the Tbird does not have a 5-speed manual option. I understand how great the automatic is but have to believe there are buyers out there who would like the ability to shift gears. Are there any plans to make a manual transmission part of the 2003 or 2004? Does this have something to do with drivetrain options on the original Tbird?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think you'll find as with a lot of things automotive these days, it probably has to do with the cost of government certification vrs the demand for the option.

I heard that the main motivation behind this decision was historical market trends for the Tbird.

I dont have a confirmation of this, but it apparently less than 20% of Tbirds sold in the past were sold with a manual transmission.

In all of the vintage Birds I have seen, I have only seen 1 with a 3 speed manual transmission, I beleive it was a 56.

With only 25,000 vehicles produced a year and the fact they pulled alot of the technology from the Lincoln LS, there was little motivation to build or assemble a custom package for a car that was just coming onto the market.

Maybe the 2005 model with an anticipated 380hp with a super charger will mark the year a manual transmission will be introduced.

I beleive that ford did produce a 90's version of the Tbird with SC + manual transmission but I may be mistaking.

Originally posted by Erict:
I beleive that ford did produce a 90's version of the Tbird with SC + manual transmission but I may be mistaking.

Year -------- model----- ----auto- --5speed-
1990 Ford Thunderbird SC - 15742 - 6,067
1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 35th Anniversary Edition - 3,371 --
1991 Ford Thunderbird SC - 5,134 - 1,905
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC - 2,956 - 1,256
1993 Ford Thunderbird SC - 2,853 - 1,038
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC - 1,925 - 722
1995 Ford Thunderbird SC - 5,167 - 574

------------------
1996 Thunderbird LX 4.6l
1966 Thunderbird "Q" code conv.

-

I too would have opted for the 5 speed Manual transmission.

------------------
Courage --- and shuffle the cards.

Originally posted by TbirdMarty:
I too would have opted for the 5 speed Manual transmission.

The downside of a clutch on a performance car is the stiffness. I had a Mustang GT stick, and I think I would only want it again for a weekend car. With the Mustang a 5-speed is a plus on resell, but on a Bird it would kill it.

I'd have to agree. The Bird is a Crusing Machine. Not a Hot Rod. No need for a Manual Tranny

Guys;

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just stating that if I have a choice I will always choose the manual transmission. Driving has always been an enjoyable experience for me. And being able to shift gears increases that enjoyment. My wife on the other hand prefers an automatic so all her vehicles are automatics.

------------------
Courage --- and shuffle the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back