Lunch at the Varsity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow at 11;30AM, we are meeting at the downtown Varsity on North Ave.,near Ga. Tech to have lunch and celebrate flybrd's new TBird.

So far we have flybrd (of course), DavidA, TBirdMarty, and me.

Anyone else interested?

We will be eating in our cars in the curb-service area. No mustard or chili on the carpet or leather, please.

WHATDAYAHAVE, WHATDAYAHAVE.

For those of you not from Atlanta, the Varsity is the world's largest drive-in restaurant...famous for chili dogs, onion rings, frosted oranges. It's a real throwback to the Fifties...but the genuine article...not a marketing gimmick.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

joelja,
My brother went to Ga Tech in the early 60's where I visited him often. The Varsity was the "only" place to go back then.Enjoy the experience.

Bob

------------------

02BIRDOH.

I went to Ga. Tech in the early 60's...graduated in '66.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

graduated in '76 - you forgot the indigestion
biggrin.gif

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

In the vernacular of the group I usually hang out with a trip to the Varsity is refered to as getting a "grease fix". Food from the Varsity makes a nasty exit wound!!!

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

I have a buddy in Atlanta, he loves to hit the Varsity when we go to the Tech bookstore.

Of course, he's been a friggin' rail since we got out of college - 25 years ago last week to be exact! Me, if I even look at that stuff I get heartburn, diarrhea, and gain 10 pounds on the spot!

For him, 2 chili dogs with everything and an order of onion rings is a religious experience. For me, it's a chance to chug Tums, Pepcid, and Imodium!

Well, he loves White Castle also, I never got that one either....

If it's grease you want give me In and Out Burger ANY DAY. Of course there aren't any in GA, but heck I'd take the Atlanta Bread Company for sure!

But the great thing about America is - you pays your money & you takes your choice!

Have fun guys!

Tom M

PS tell me again exactly why I have to pay someone to yell at me when I order???

Well, we just got back from lunch at the Varsity.

flybrd was there with her one week old white 'Bird.

DavidA drove all the way down from Gainesville, Ga. (about 60 miles each way), with his two susters in the trunk of his black 'Bird.

TBirdMarty was there with his wife TBirdTam and their blue 'Bird.

TBirdTim came a little late, in his white 'Bird, after a big ass business meeting.

And I was there in my blue beauty satorially respledant in my new Reyn Spooner Hawaiian TBird shirt and my new Taxor watch with the blue face.

All told....14 chili dogs, 12 glorified steaks...4 orders of fries....6 orders of onion rings...6 large drinks....several fried pies...and 46 gallons of Pepto-Bismol were consumed.
And that was just David.

The rest of us opted for the salad bar, with fat free dressing. Yeah, right.

We had a great time....discussed the upcoming Thunderbird Day at the Lake which will be Saturday, July 27 at Lake Lanier. We also made time to discuss plans for Thunderbird Destination, which will be in October. Ya'll are going to be absolutely blown away by that event....too much fun. Also, discussed the Fourth of July parade, which will be on July 4.

The Georgia TBird gang just keeps chugging along. We're having a great time at every turn and enjoying the hell out of our cars.

Ya'll come.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

-

As usual, I had a great time getting to see my Atlanta Thunderbird family, even though I was late getting to the Varsity. I'm looking forward to our upcoming events in the next few weeks and months!

Joel;

You forgot to mention the entertainment portion of the gathering. I'm a little tired but Tam is just plain "pooped". Needless to say I have a full day of car washing to do.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Hey are you guys doing anything over the 4th?

I took the week off to work on my house BUT if you really twisted my arm....

Would you mind if I brought take out from the Atlanta Bread Company to the Varsity? I'm still hacking up furballs from my visit last year....

Tom M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back