lowering the tear end on my 55 tbird

TBoidMark
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just finished installing new leaf springs and shocks on the rear end of my 55 tbird. Before the new parts were installed the car sat at about 24" to the center of the tail light (which is quite acceptable). Now it sits at about 28" with the new leaf springs. A few months ago I removed the soft top, steel track and motors for the electric seat, which I know has exacerbated the problem, but am totally surprised the car now sits that much higher with oem leaf springs. Has anyone else encountered this and have a good solution? Thank you. TBoidMark

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just finished installing new leaf springs and shocks on the rear end of my 55 tbird. Before the new parts were installed the car sat at about 24" to the center of the tail light (which is quite acceptable). Now it sits at about 28" with the new leaf springs. A few months ago I removed the soft top, steel track and motors for the electric seat, which I know has exacerbated the problem, but am totally surprised the car now sits that much higher with oem leaf springs. Has anyone else encountered this and have a good solution? Thank you. TBoidMark

TBoidMark, A while back I had the rear end in my '56 rebuilt and when the mechanic reinstalled it and connected the leaf springs, one side had the shackle above the leaf spring and the other side below. In my avatar photo, you can see the shackle above the leaf spring. The driver's side did sit higher than the passenger side. Just something to check.

TBoidMark, A while back I had the rear end in my '56 rebuilt and when the mechanic reinstalled it and connected the leaf springs, one side had the shackle above the leaf spring and the other side below. In my avatar photo, you can see the shackle above the leaf spring. The driver's side did sit higher than the passenger side. Just something to check.
Thanks so much for the reply Thunderkip. I went back and checked my Ford manual and realized that's exactly what it was. I think someone reversed them because of the very week springs that were on there and I didn't catch it and put them back the same way. I know now. Problem corrected today and it sits real nice. Thanks for your help!! Tboid55mark

Thanks so much for the reply Thunderkip. I went back and checked my Ford manual and realized that's exactly what it was. I think someone reversed them because of the very week springs that were on there and I didn't catch it and put them back the same way. I know now. Problem corrected today and it sits real nice. Thanks for your help!! Tboid55mark
That’s great news! Glad to have been able to help. Kip

I see quite a few little birds looking low in the rear. I prefer a higher rear stance. Could this be used to raise the rear and provide a decent ride on 1950s tech?

I see quite a few little birds looking low in the rear. I prefer a higher rear stance. Could this be used to raise the rear and provide a decent ride on 1950s tech?
I'm sure you could reverse the shackles to raise the rear end. I don't know if that would affect the leaf springs long term and what it might do to handling. Not that these cars handle that well to begin with.

I'm sure you could reverse the shackles to raise the rear end. I don't know if that would affect the leaf springs long term and what it might do to handling. Not that these cars handle that well to begin with.
For cars that have wire wheels, the spring shackles many times have been reversed to raise the rear end! This prevents the spinners from chopping into the fender skirts on turns when the body sways to the opposite side! Be advised that the rear wire wheel spinners are a different dimension from the front spinners and are more tucked in for the rear wheels! Mix up those spinners and you can have reconfigured skirts! Not good!

I found this happens a lot. you see that a lot at shows with cars that are "fully restored" and stand way to tall. I use Detroit Spring. They make their own springs .They'll ask you what you want to accomplish so you get the right springs.If the car was standing they way you wanted it to look,why did you change the springs? Don't try to fix it with lowering blocks. Two inches yes,four inches no.

Bruce, Thanks for your replay. I like to think we all get our Birds, eventually, set up the way we would like them. Such is the case with my ‘55. After all the reading, research, help, and new parts, my bird sits about 1” higher than factory specs. Realizing air shocks, reversed shackles, repurposed old leaf springs, coil spacers, aren’t the appropriate and safe solution, I installed new leaf springs and shocks and now the problem is fixed and safe to drive !!

Don't invert the shackles. Upon hitting a pot hole, etc., the shackles might return to their correct position, thereby upsetting the car's handling, resulting in loss of control and possible accident. I've seen a few T-birds that have the shackles reversed, but it's less common than I've seen on other classic cars. I suggest you get a reproduction 1955 Ford Car Manual. Also keep in mind that new springs, whether front or rear, may need some time to settle before the car returns to proper ride height.

I have 215/70R15 tires mounted on 7"-wide wheels/w 3.875" backspacing. Even with new leaf springs, There was little clearance between the tire and fender well. I removed the springs and had them re-arched, providing an additional 1 1/2" of clearance. This was a better, safer solution to increasing the ride height. Installing air shocks would have been an easier solution, but shock absorbers aren't designed to carry loads, springs do that. I have no doubt that my Bilstein shocks are an improvement over air shocks.

Back