Help on Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike02redbird

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
OK I’m new to this web forum but I really enjoy it. My only problem is I spend to much time reading all the comments. I need some advise on a few items.

First I have a red/red/partial ordered from my local dealer at msrp, I ordered it 8/2/02. after checking around I have found several dealers within 4 hours that I can get the same car without waiting at msrp or a few $ lower. But I feel a certain loyalty to my dealer (I’ve bought several cars from him) also I question service and other problems I may have with the new bird, would I get better results from the service dept. if it was there car?

Second question, and this is the BIG one, I have always owned a conv. of some type and once I put the top down I leave down in the garage when I’m not driving. I ordered the hard top because I think it looks great however if the streets are clear and I’m driving I can’t imagine that I would not have the top down. I am I just spending $2500 extra for an item that I will never use? I have to store and protect? and am afraid to use because it will scratch my deck? HELP ....HELP

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Several have noted that the top, with its porthole, is a key part of the Thunderbird mystique. People do seem to recognize the car more readily with hard top on. The value of the car later may be higher with the hard top than without.

It may be quite difficult to add the hard top after the fact.

As to the scratches on the top, I have a white bird. If you get the light just right (with the top off) you can see some discoloration where the top seal touches the deck. For me, not enough to worry about.

Just my opinion.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

-

Thanks for your reply, however I am not buying it for higher resale, am I just buying a$2500 rack to hang shop towels on ?

Mike, it's a matter of personal choice, but I am very glad I ordered mine with the hardtop - even if it spends most of its time in the garage. It gives the car a 'second look' and adds to the uniqueness. I only had the top on for a month and a half, but really enjoyed 1) the appearance, 2) the extra quiet and weatherproof ride, 3) the special attention it got with the hardtop on. Also, if you're living in a winter weather zone, the hardtop should give you a few extra months' driving enjoyment every year.

As far as scratches go, I found none when I removed it. The top was torqued down exceptionally tight, the X-braces are good and tight (to minimize cowl shake) and - of course - there was no dirt on the seal when it was shipped from the factory. I'm hoping I can avoid scratches when I replace the top by giving the deck a thorough cleaning and polishing. I guess I'll find out whether that's enough later.

I concur with tcruiser. In my case, the hardtop will sit in my basement until November, and then it will be on my vehicle until March or so. A different (and very cool) look, improved weather protection, and improved interior quiet (you can definitely notice the difference in the stereo sound). My rear deck has no scratches whatsoever and I plan to use the Ford-provided strips when November rolls around.

I thought I would add that my dealer told me that a replacement hardtop is $7K. So that's definitely something to consider -- if you're getting the hardtop, get it now.

ouch. that's too bad. i was considering getting a silver top for our black. i love the neiman marcus look. i don't know that i love it 7 grand worth! black on black looks nice!

------------------
Gary L Henkel

Mike02redbird, in my opinion I would never consider buying the T-Bird without the hard top. I've had my car for 7 wks. now and the top was off for 6 of them. I just put it back on last night and took the car to a car show. It's my experience that people are in love with those portholes!! I get more comments on the car with the top on then off (Of course, there is nothing like riding around al fresco!) I also agree that the value of the car will be enhanced by the top. Don't worry too much about storage, just strap it in the cradle, cover it up and tuck it away. Good luck on your purchase!!

Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Taurus SE (the daily driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back