Help- 97 Lx Ford Thunderbird won't turn over

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M

Maximillion

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Don't know what's wrong with it won't turn over have all dash lights I'm pretty sure I hear the fuel pump clicking had it looked at and they told me it was the ground wire please help

All the dash lights come on acts like it's going to start turn the key and nothing it has nothing doesn't turn over or nothing please help I don't want to get rid of it

It's not the ignition switch? Mine needs to be replaced and I know it. Sometimes when I go to start it ('96 LX) , the panel lights come on but nothing else...just a "click". I have to repeat the process a few times, then finally it catches and roars to life.

I'm a complete newbie and this might be useless information. It's all I got :)

you need to do some troubleshooting. I'd say first step would be check wiring on the starter, if all is in tact, have someone turn the key while you check for power with a volt meter at starter. if you have voltage, change starter, no voltage, trace wires back to a point where you get voltage. could be as simple as a fuse, relay, or could be a ground wire came loose. look for corrosion at electrical connections and grounds.
I have a 96LX I'm trying to sell for 500 because the frame is rusted severely, but body, interior, power options and mechanical parts are in good shape. just needs a fuel pump to run. but I don't want to try to fix because of the rust. I doubt I'd get the tank strap bolts out because they are so rusted. but car has many good usable parts. if you live near central Indiana and want to buy it let me know.

Back