1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

Grandpa's 1967 T-Bird need advice on fuel pump removal

Discussion in '1967 - 1988 Ford Thunderbird' started by Sheeks175, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,

My grandpa past away a few years back, so my uncle and I are attempting to get his 1967 428 ci Thunderbird running and out of the house.

We have isolated the problem to the fuel pump, but we are stumped on how to remove the thing. This car has air conditioning, so access from the top is blocked and same with access from the bottom. We tried removing the power steering pump, but couldn't get it all the way out without removing the bracket that holds it to the engine. The bracket is massive, so I think you have to remove the A/C compressor, which is a huge job on that car.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the fuel pump? It would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

2. I just did this on my '68. You'll have to remove the oil filter. You'll also need thin walled sockets. I found various angles for the left bolt which is the hardest one to remove. I ended up using a 3 inch extension with a thin ratchet. The right bolt you just use a 10 inch extension with a loose socket and it was pretty easy to remove through the wheel well. Is not a fast process.

3. Thank you!

When you say you removed the right bolt through the wheel well. Did you only have to remove the tire from the well? Anything else?

4. yes just the tire. You should have a clear line of sight towards the bolt. I used 1/4 inch extension and it was perfect for the small space.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!