Getting a 1986 running after sitting 9+ years

lagzilla_86

lagzilla_86

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a 1986 Thunderbird 3.8 L. It has been idle for 9 to 13 years. I am now getting it back in shape to have on the road. Any thoughts on what to do first? So far, I have changed or refreshed the fluids and will be flushing coolant and oil system after letting the engine get about 100 miles on it.

The 1986 T-Bird has 57,600 miles and was in a Pennsylvania barn for at least 9 years. Not quite a "True barn find" as the previous owner knew what he had. Sadly, he passed away before restoration. I was able to drive it home about 14 miles and it wasn't a white knuckle experience as the Control arms are sorta hanging in there.

I see that many rubber grommets and bushings are dried and cracked and I have started changing them out. Any other ideas on the best next steps?

Attachments

• T-Bird.jpg
    T-Bird.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently purchased a 1983 Mercury Cougar which is basically the same car other than grill and rear quarters, same 3.8 L v-6. Also have a 1957 T-Bird. Parts for the 1986 will be as scarce as hen's teeth. If the A/C compressor is a HR980 it is non repairable (sealed unit). I would stock up on available electrical parts,
window wiper switches, motors, etc. There are no trim parts so if you have any rust, you will probably have to patch or look for NOS on ebay. You might want to check out Desert Valley Auto Parts as they keep and sell every thing.

I would start with a good fuel system cleaner, such as Big 44. After that rebuild the brake system. The rubber parts will have deteriorated after that length of time and are no longer safe.

My newest challenge has been the simple Serpentine Belt replacement. I keep getting a 77.5 " working length. This length won't fit even without the Tensioner engaged.
My 1986 is W/O A/C and the string measurement for the serpentine belt length is between 81 and 82 inches. Has anyone else run into this difficulty?

So far, all excellent advice and followed. I have replaced old and worn rubber parts for engine and fuel systems. Now that

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Scratched my head on that one for a while since all the parts stores gave me the same "incorrect" belt.

My secret? I go to RockAuto and start poking around. I found the belt for your car that way. It took a few minutes, because rockauto.com didn't list the lengths of most of the matches. I had to search on the "alternate part number" listed until I found one that was approximately 82 inches. There are three lengths for your year, 77, 82 and 96.

I used to wonder why the parts guy kept typing after I told him what I needed. I thought, "it's just a water pump" or whatever I was there to buy. But I've learned it's not that he couldn't find the water pump, it's that he was finding too many water pumps - different part numbers, different specifications.

Glad I could help.

Mick

Back