Fuel sending unit 6V vs 12V. 55 Bird

HRUVDT564
Last seen
I have a 55 Thunderbird which the fuel gauge has never worked. I am thinking the sending unit is probably bad and want to replace it. The car has been converted to a 12 V but I don’t know about that sending unit or if the fuel gauge is 12v or 6v ..,Should I get a 6 V sending unit or 12 V sending unit to use as a replacement?

I have cleaned out the gas tank, ran new fuel lines and installed a electric fuel pump now to complete the task

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

All fuel gauges on 55-57 birds are 6 volts, the 56/57 have a voltage converter to reduce the voltage at the gauge to 6 volts.

All fuel gauges on 55-57 birds are 6 volts, the 56/57 have a voltage converter to reduce the voltage at the gauge to 6 volts.
If that is true then why does CASCO state:

Item Number: 9275B - Fuel Sender - Use With 56 Dash Unit - 1 Per car

Detailed Description
clear.gif
This is for use with original gauge. Not for use with our reproduction gauge and sender set. Only use for 1955 if converted to 12 volt and the dash gauge has been changed to 12 volt as well. Ohm range 100-300 Full-Empty

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I only stated the voltage requirements for the gauges, part numbers can be different between years not to mention after market parts being matched properly. Just trying to help trouble shoot the problem that works better than throwing parts at it

I have a 55 Thunderbird which the fuel gauge has never worked. I am thinking the sending unit is probably bad and want to replace it. The car has been converted to a 12 V but I don’t know about that sending unit or if the fuel gauge is 12v or 6v ..,Should I get a 6 V sending unit or 12 V sending unit to use as a replacement?

I have cleaned out the gas tank, ran new fuel lines and installed a electric fuel pump now to complete the task
Max, I have a 55 converted to 12v that I replaced the sending unit this fall, p/n T-9275A which is 6v. This is the same unit that was in the car when I purchased it. The old sending unit float arm was shortened, and I still have to complete that task, otherwise this sending unit operates fine.

Back