Finding and developing classic TBird mechanics

MoCity

MoCity

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to open a discussion about your experience and ideas on how to maintain and build a network of mechanics that can work on our aging Thunderbirds. Many of the experienced mechanics we know and have used are moving to retirement (or are longer with us.) Our club has worked with Houston Community College on providing scholarships for students pursuing auto mechanics careers - with an interest in classic cars. We have also donated a baby bird for students to work on, rebuilding and restoring as they learn. But we have had slow/limited progress on our ultimate goal of cultivating future classic car mechanics - and we have some funding available to work on these and other opportunities. So I’d love to hear what others have encountered, and if there are any success stories to share!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I want to open a discussion about your experience and ideas on how to maintain and build a network of mechanics that can work on our aging Thunderbirds. Many of the experienced mechanics we know and have used are moving to retirement (or are longer with us.) Our club has worked with Houston Community College on providing scholarships for students pursuing auto mechanics careers - with an interest in classic cars. We have also donated a baby bird for students to work on, rebuilding and restoring as they learn. But we have had slow/limited progress on our ultimate goal of cultivating future classic car mechanics - and we have some funding available to work on these and other opportunities. So I’d love to hear what others have encountered, and if there are any success stories to share!
I have worked on cars as a hobby for over 30 years. I taught 2 of my boys how to work on classic's as well. Unfortunately they prefer to work on newer cars and putting LS motors in everything they can. they like my classic cars , but have no interest in working on them. I have tried to explain to them that us loder gus are aging out and that there is plenty of opportunity in working on the classics, but they would rather put a scanner on something and replace the part the computer tells them to.

I have worked on cars as a hobby for over 30 years. I taught 2 of my boys how to work on classic's as well. Unfortunately they prefer to work on newer cars and putting LS motors in everything they can. they like my classic cars , but have no interest in working on them. I have tried to explain to them that us loder gus are aging out and that there is plenty of opportunity in working on the classics, but they would rather put a scanner on something and replace the part the computer tells them to.
My thoughts exactly! The younger generation(s) are more interested in fixing current model cars with the electronics and digital diagnostics. They don’t have a connection with cars before they were born, which requires understanding how they work and how to troubleshoot them. I was thinking of locating existing older mechanics that would like opportunities to earn more by building their knowledge and experience working on classic cars. And many classic car owners have that knowledge from working on their own vehicles. How can we share that knowledge?

Existing older mechanics already know how to work on older/classic cars. The fact is that there isn't any money in it for them and they may not have the tools to work on older cars. Neither do they want to buy them. There's no rocket science involved in any pre computer car. But it does take tools that modern cars don't. And consider that most of these guys don't have sae tools either.

Back