Engine Fan not working on a 95 LX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fl 95LX T-Bird

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
I recently got my late fathers 95 LX T-Bird w/ the 4.6 that was sitting for close to 2.5 yrs, and the engine fan and the blower motor for the ac is not working. It has auto climate control and when I turn the selector knob to panel & floor or defrost & floor it activates the ac clutch, but when it is on just pane or floor or defrost by itself, it does not activate the ac clutch. When I got the car the climate control panel was not lit & the blower motor was on when ever the key was on. A couple of days later when I was replacing some vacum lines, the engine fan kicked on like normal. I then went through all the fuses to make sure they were good by pulling them out inspecting them and reinstalling them,then the climate control panel lit up and blower motor came on by command. And then the other night after I replaced the plug & wires, Engine fan and blower motor not working. Fuse for blower motor good, pulled fan out tested fan, its good. Fan is 3 wire and has a neg 7 pos symbol on outside of fan plug, but the plug from the car has system voltage on center wire and neg. harness looks to be in good condition. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks John

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds like a couple different issues. First the engine fan. It sounds as though you may have a slightly corroded connection somewhere. From what you've stated so far, I would tend to think at the fuse, but it could be in another place too. I'm assuming this is an electric fan, not an electric clutched fan? I'd start with the simple stuff first...clean all the connections as good as you can (unhook battery first) and then use a small amount of di-electric grease on the connections. That should prevent any further corrosion from building up.

The other issue is the heater/cooling fan inside the car. That could be the same issue. It sounds as though they may be related, but I'm not for sure. I don't have any info infront of me as to what components are on which circuits. However, it sounds as though it is a similar issue. The direction of the air is vacuum controlled. I.e. the vent/defrost/heater, is all controlled with a series of vacuum lines behind the dash. However, the actual operation of the blower is electronic. My car sat for over a year and it would only blow out the defrost/heater until I actually got it all up to temp for the first time and took it out on the road. That, for lack of a better term, knocked something loose and now it works fine.

I would start back at the fuse box and double check each fuse to include any corrosion that may be present. I know it will be hard to clean anything out from where the fuses insert, but that is what I would guess at first.

Electrical problems can be a total crap shoot at times. I've been chasing one for a while now and still have other issues that I have no idea where they're originating from.

Yeah, I know it as the IIRCM, but it's the same thing. When that goes, all kinds of different things can start going wrong. I want to say that those are around $130 to replace. If it is having issues, you might just consider going a head and replacing it because it will only get worse. It also has the potential to damage the EEC as well. I've got a buddy that had to recently replace both of those because one went bad and took the other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back