Electrical Problem 66 Flair Bird

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Have a fully charged battery but when I pull the headlights on nothing happens and the horn does not work. The display in an after market radio illuminates. When I attempt a start the display fades away and nothing happens. Tested starter found bad, replaced starter and starter solenoid but still not start not even a turn over. Removed and cleaned connections at starter, solenoid, & ground wire to frame and engine block. Anyone got any suggestions? The engine does turn over by hand.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Jim B, try taking a jumper cable and take the black lead and put one end on the engine block in a clean area, and take the other black lead and put it on the negative side of the battery. Now try to start it and see what happens. If it starts then replace the ground cable. If it doesn't start put the red lead on the starter solenoid and on the positive terminal of the battery. If it still doesn't start put the lead that is on the solenoid and put it on the terminal of the starter. If it still doesn't start fell free to call someone else to help you. LOL. Remember electricity running thru wires is like water running thru pipes, if the wire is not big enough you will get voltage which is pressure but you won't get amperage which is volume. Good Luck Rick

Hey Jim B, try taking a jumper cable and take the black lead and put one end on the engine block in a clean area, and take the other black lead and put it on the negative side of the battery. Now try to start it and see what happens. If it starts then replace the ground cable. If it doesn't start put the red lead on the starter solenoid and on the positive terminal of the battery. If it still doesn't start put the lead that is on the solenoid and put it on the terminal of the starter. If it still doesn't start fell free to call someone else to help you. LOL. Remember electricity running thru wires is like water running thru pipes, if the wire is not big enough you will get voltage which is pressure but you won't get amperage which is volume. Good Luck Rick

Hey Jim B, try taking a jumper cable and put one end of the black leads on a clean part of the engine, and take the other black lead and put it on the negative side of the battery. If the engine starts now then replace the negative cable. If you still have problems take the red lead and put on the solenoid first and the other red lead on the positive side of the battery. If it still doesn't start take the red lead off the solenoid and put it on the starter terminal. If it still doesn't start fell free to call someone else to help you LOL. Remember electricity running thru cables is like water running thru pipes, if the wire is not big enough you will have voltage which is pressure but you won't have amperage which is volume. Good Luck Rick

Hi Jim. Rick is right. I'm wondering if you cleaned the battery terminals and clamps? A poor connection there and result in what you're describing. Doug

Back