Drivers Window Won't Go Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
I took my Thunderbird out today for a spin, and when I parked her up and closed the door, it would not go up to seal the the window (you know it drops a little when opening and goes back up when closing) It still goes down a bit when opening the door. Also I noticed that when I fully close the window from inside, the door catch locks and I can't close the door unless I open the window a smidge! Any idea what is the problem here?

Roy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Window raising problem

Roy,

The owners manual has a procedure for recalibrating the window if the battery is disconnected. Are any of your other settings causing problems (radio settings, etc.). Have you disconnected or replaced the battery. Try the recalibration procedure before taking drastic measures.

Have a great Day,

Jim (jetbird)
windows-drop.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim
Thank you for your reply!
The car had not been run for about 6 weeks, and the battery was completely dead. When we got her fired up, the radio stations were no longer stored and the trip meter was on zero. It sounds like your advice might be whats needed, but I don't have the owners manual. Could you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks

Roy :)

Run the window down and continue to hold the button for about 3-4 seconds... this sets the drop... then run the window all the way up (with door closed) and hold the button for 3-4 seconds.. this will set the window rise....

PudgeyRoy
I believe that you have a 2002 TBird. Therefore, relating to your dead battery:

1) If it's a 2002 then your battery may be tired and need replacement. Not sure how many miles you have either.
2) Parking for 6 weeks should not cause a dead battery.
3) Back when these Birds first came out there was an issue when you left the rear defogger on, even after you shut the car down and left it. It drained the battery. There was a fix by Ford that the dealers did for us, but if out of warranty, just make sure you turn off the rear defogger before you park the car.
4) If you do not use the car often, your may not be putting back the charge due to short runs. One solution is to buy a battery tender for $60.00 US. You can find one a Griotsgarage.com. I've used these for years on all antiques and it really extends the life of the battery. I currently have my 2002 TBird on one as well as my John Deere lawn tractor, since neither one is run the much.
Hope these hints are helpful.:cool:

Thank you Mr Quickdraw, your advice did the trick! You are a real oracle when it comes to these birds!

Thank you too George, it was my fault that the battery died due to leaving the interior lights on. I am in the UK, so I don't think I can get the device you recommended? Thank you anyway.

What a fine bunch of lads you are!

Roy

Pudgey Roy

Thank you Mr Quickdraw, your advice did the trick! You are a real oracle when it comes to these birds!

Thank you too George, it was my fault that the battery died due to leaving the interior lights on. I am in the UK, so I don't think I can get the device you recommended? Thank you anyway.

What a fine bunch of lads you are!

Roy

Roy if you subscibe to this site you can download a owners manuel on your bird to your computer and then print it out if you like. I am not advocating you join us, but just a sugestion. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Steve

window not adjusted correctly

Run the window down and continue to hold the button for about 3-4 seconds... this sets the drop... then run the window all the way up (with door closed) and hold the button for 3-4 seconds.. this will set the window rise....

Quickdraw,
Looked in the manual and there it was. Seems my driver side window didn't seem to go down quite enough when you opened the door. After what i read what you said and checking the manual reset the window and it works fine now.

Thanks bud,

Steve

Thank you for the information. Having same problem with window. Put it up and down and held for a few seconds and now it works as it should. I also had a dead battery for some reason. Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back