Cigarette Smoking Quieting

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused.gif
Well this has nothing to do with any cars. But as of tommorrow I will be going on the smoking patch. Plan to be a real bitch for a while. I did quite about 5 years ago after my triple bypass but after two or three month I started up again. I'm now back up to my 2 pack a day thing. I want to be around to enjoy my Bird and a lot of other things. I started this thing when I was about 12 years old. It was the thing to do back in the mid 50's and I haven't been able to kick it since then except for short periods of time. So everyone out there. WISH ME LUCK ON DOING THIS. I need all the support I can get. I know it won't be easy.

Thanks
Spence aka Gobird

I know luck has nothing to do with this but what the hell. It can't hurt.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

-

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I started when I was 16 and when I hit 42 I quit cold turkey for three (3) years. Don't ask me why, but I started up again at 45. Now thinking its time to quit again for good.
Good luck Gobird. I'm sure you can do it because you have specified a couple of good reasons why you want to quit.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I quit a 3 pack a day habit about 25 years ago. One good trick to do is drink lots of orange juice. It kelps absorb the nicotine and tar in your system. Good luck ... it's a GOOD thing you are doing.

-

Gobird, did you use the patch the last time? I quit a few years ago using the patch and it was amazingly easy. Those things really work as long as you WANT to quit.

Unfortunately, I started back about a year later. I get a lot of grief from people who see ashes down the driver's side of my car.
redface.gif

GOOD LUCK!

Tbird Lover hit it on the head, the operative word is WANT to quit. If you really want to, you will. When I quit, I got a perscription for Zyban, that helped immensly, I never had that feeling of wanting to kill when I got to the two week point. Good Luck!!!

frown.gif
Boy I can't wait till I get up tommorrow and have my first cup of coffee and my first PATCH. Forgive me now for what I may say then, I don't know what will happen.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

You also don't want to sleep with the patch on unless you absolutely have to. It will give you freaky, psychedelic dreams. Mine tended to be violent too. Spooky.

Tbird Lover, I like those kind of dreams, guess I am just a little different. I did try the patch about 7 or 8 years ago and did quite for about a month or so but got stupid and took it up again. Hope it and I work this time.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Gobird, you can do it. I started when I was fourteen, smoked Luckies, two packs a day. I stopped cold turkey when I was forty four. That was sixteen years ago. You don't quit, you stop for one day at a time, before you know it, it's easy......GOOD LUCK!

john

Originally posted by Gobird:
frown.gif
Boy I can't wait till I get up tommorrow and have my first cup of coffee and my first PATCH. Forgive me now for what I may say then, I don't know what will happen.
rolleyes.gif

Go Bird, my past is about like yours, started young, quit a few times, bypass operation. Last November I bought the patch. Today was my 6 month aniversary not smoking. My T-bird is my reward. I figured I was smoking at least 2 packs a day @ about $4.00 a pack. That comes to around $250 a month. That makes a big chunk of my car payment. I just keep telling myself if I go back to smoking I won't be able to afford the car. The price of smokes are going up again too. Good Luck to you . You can do it. A nice thing with the T-Bird is you can take the ashtray right out of the car.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue

Wish you all the help in the world Gobird. I was able to quite after getting out the army many years ago, and it still took many years after that for the "want"
redface.gif
to go away. John

GOBIRD. I QUIT 12 YEARS AGO USING NICORET, AFTER BEING UP TO 2.5-3 PACKS A DAY. BY-PASS 5 YEARS AGO, AND HAVE ZERO DESIRE TO SMOKE THOSE NASTY SMELLING THINGS AGAIN. YOU CAN DO IT. HAPPY MOTORING!! 02TBIRD

I quit my three-pack-a-day smoking in 1987 after 25 years. I was having so much trouble breathing when I quit that I knew I was headed for big health problems. Cigarettes are incredibly addictive. I still miss them, but if I hadn't quit when I did, I think there's a really good chance that I wouldn't even be here at all, and driving a beautiful blue Thunderbird!

And 57 bluebird--that's not an ashtry--it's a change holder
wink.gif

20 years ago, I quit a 2 pack/day habit (only smoked for 9 years) because I thought it was pretty dumb to blow smoke in my new son's face. it's all about the want to do it. still crave the smokes and feel like I could pick it up and enjoy it again in an instant. just keep telling myself I don't need it.

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Many thanks to everyone for ALL your support. I hope I can make it.
Spence aka Gobird
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Gobird:

Good luck, I used the patch four years ago when my son was born, the first two weeks were difficult. My wife started smoking again after he was born and chickened out on the patch. Two months ago, and after several failed attempts, I sent her to one of my clients who is a doctor which also specializes in drug/alchohol addictions. He did a good exam, and talked to her about the benifits of quiting and put her on Welbutrin. She told me that she did not have ANY cravings at all like I did with the patch. Of course, results vary body to body!

Good luck, and remember, it is never too late to quit!

------------------
Tbird

Gobird: Good luck! I hope you succeed and have many years of TBird driving fun ahead. I was a 2 pack a day man when I served in Vietnam (68-69). It took a few false starts, but I had my last cigarette in 1971. I'm sure it was much easier for me to do that at age 22 then if I had to do it now, some 30+ years later.

I'm sure all of your Tbird brothers and sisters will want to be kept up to date on your progress.

GOBIRD:
So tell us! It is a little over two weeks since you started using the patch. How about an update. We are all pulling for you.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

eek.gif
kenrhack, OK, to bring all of you up to datttte. Nooooo, I haven't stopped all together YET. I have cut down from 2 to 3 pack a day to about 6 or 7 nails a day. Even with the patch I can't quite coooold turkey but as far as I an concerned I don't think I am doing tooooo bad.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back