1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

66Engine size

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Poppy Red, Aug 11, 2017.

1. I recently purchased (another) 66 T-Bird. Was told the original 428 Q option engine was damaged, and a later Cobra Jet 428 was installed. Cannot get any valid info on the engine from the guy I purchased it from, but from info from the 428 CJ web site, I have located the casting stamp date. It looks like 7C31, which would translate to 1967, March 31. Can any one confirm this, and if so, the engine cannot be a 428 CJ as they did not cast them until 1968/9, I am told. Is it possible to identify (from the outside) if this engine is an actual 428, or a 390?

Other casting numbers from the lower/underside left bank are "24 D1F, and from the lower/underside right bank, "C7ME-A

2. captrick

captrick Active Member Lifetime Donor

I think that the "Q" code 428 was only offered as an option in 1966 as a police car. In 1967 the "Q" was an option in a Shelby spec car and a police car. The 428 PI stands for POLICE INTERSEPTOR.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!