64 convertible top not working

JustT

JustT

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Help! My convertible top on my 1964 Tbird stopped working. I have replaced the hydraulic pump, all relays and the main circuit breaker....I'm lost now!! Any ideas???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Pity, there is a guy in Florida that fixes T Bird convertible tops but AL would be too far. If you give me your e mail address, I will send you his number and you can call him, he might be able to steer you in the right direction. Have you checked out the up/down switch on the console to make sure it has power etc

Please choose a better subject when posting for more responses. "64 convertible top" could mean anything. I updated it for you.

Yes, it has power....it will raise the
Please choose a better subject when posting for more responses. "64 convertible top" could mean anything. I updated it for you.
Thank you

Have you checked or replaced the limit switches? Check for loose connections too.

Suggestions?
My top is in the closed position and will not open using the console switch which I do not think is the problem.
I jumped to deck unlock relay and the screws unlocked the deck.
I jumped the deck open relay and heard the solenoid click and the pump runs but the deck did not go up. I really do not want to unbolt the deck pistons from under the car and am looking for suggestions.

Suggestions?
My top is in the closed position and will not open using the console switch which I do not think is the problem.
I jumped to deck unlock relay and the screws unlocked the deck.
I jumped the deck open relay and heard the solenoid click and the pump runs but the deck did not go up. I really do not want to unbolt the deck pistons from under the car and am looking for suggestions.
Where are you jumping from ? To understand you correctly your unlock relays have totally released did you notice the deck rise at all 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch? If not they may not have relesed all the way. But when using the console switch you do not get any control ? Must haves neutral safety switch made either neutral or park the 64 has this switch mounted low on the steering column one set of contacts for reverse lights 2nd set for neutral safety features ie; starting , convertible top functions two ways to test with Key in place in neutral or park turn key to start or use top down toggle switch another must is the control power relay on a 65 it is mounted on firewall. If your able to jump to these two relays at least two of the three circuit breakers are ok the 3rd breaker is for the upper panel electric motor 15 amp mounted in trunk passenger side bulkhead the one on the drivers side another 15 amp breaker is for for lock / unlock motor. When you replaced the pump was the system bled and deck opened and closed correctly. Your going to have fill in the blanks to go any further!!!

1. I am jumping power from the positive post in the trunk about a foot away from the relays.
2. The locks are released as I am manually able to lift the deck lid up a few inches above the locks.
3. The switch console does cause a solenoid click when pressing on top up but not top down. My top is currently up/closed so I want to do top down.
4. The neutral safety switch must be working if I can start the car and the console switch works the same with the key in either the on or axillary position.
5. The pump was replaced about 5 years ago and has worked since though I have had to add a small amount of fluid each year - very slight leak from one of the deck lid cylinders.
Things that I still need to try:
1. Get someone to lift up on the deck lid while I jump the deck open relay to see if the pump just needs help due to low fluid or ??
2. Find the Top control circuit breaker in the engine compartment and test it.
3. Determine if I have a control power relay. I believe it might be behind the windshield washer bag as a 1964 recall upgrade.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Update. The deck lid did go by jumping the deck open relay with a person helping to pull up on the deck lid at the same time. I do have a new fluid leak at one of the deck lid cylinder seals.
Next problem. The top would not go down with jumping the top down relay but the deck lid started going down as if the top was already down. I verified from the shop manual that I was jumping the correct relay. Tried bypassing the top down limit switch but that did not help.
Side concern. Though my top is in the top up/closed position the top up limit switch does not appear to be getting closed. I am not sure if this is an adjustment issue or if there is something preventing the tops mechanism from closing all the way. I believe it has been this way for a long time. Please ignore all the red paint overspray in the pictures, Whoever "restored" this car many years ago certainly did not prep the car properly.

Attachments

• 20201115_1.jpg
    20201115_1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20201115_2.jpg
    20201115_2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
This may not help in your case, but I worked on a 63 that worked partially when it felt like it. We found that the relays only made intermittent contact and after cleaning they were still not reliable. The owner bought new reproduction relays and they were found to be a waste of money as only 50% of them worked and only for a short time. At that point the owner threw in the towel and decided to leave the top down and not spring for the electronic controller.

Hopefully, once I get the top down and have easy access to the relays I can install the relay system from John Draxler at the *****************. I have met him before and I know others who have dealt with him so I believe him that the system works and he will provide support if there are any issues. Unfortunately, a new relay system will not resolve any limit switch, hydraulic pump, back panel, etc. issues that could potentially be part of my problem.

Just to let you know (I have a ‘64 convertible), proper adjustment of the sliding steering column has a big impact on operation of the top. Many times my car will start but the top won’t operate. I’ve simply cycled the sliding column right and back to lock, and the top will work. Additionally, all the solenoids you buy today are reproductions......buying from a reputable place (like The Bird Nest) will get you reliable parts.

Help! My convertible top on my 1964 Tbird stopped working. I have replaced the hydraulic pump, all relays and the main circuit breaker....I'm lost now!! Any ideas???
You didn’t mention micro switches. They were filled with oil, and after this many years it turns to tar. Work the switches by hand to loosin them up. Sometimes it works.

Back