64 bird alternator conversion

thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
when I bought my tbird someone had put a modern alternator with a constant voltage regulator on it...it does charge the battery , but if you disconnect the negative cable while running the car will stall and the charge gauge does not work.
under the car there are most of the wires from the original generator are just hanging there, so I'm looking to fix this up and get the gauge working...anyone have any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

when I bought my tbird someone had put a modern alternator with a constant voltage regulator on it...it does charge the battery , but if you disconnect the negative cable while running the car will stall and the charge gauge does not work.
under the car there are most of the wires from the original generator are just hanging there, so I'm looking to fix this up and get the gauge working...anyone have any ideas?
Are you wanting to change back?

no I just want everything to work properly :)

Your Tbird came with an alternator in 1964. The voltage regulator was originally mounted on driver side of radiator support.

it still is but it wasn't hooked up since i bought it and it still it chages

04568503-1BB6-4638-9B7C-308D2FD7E929.jpegThis is a pic of my ‘64 from underneath I had an alternator shop (Mars, Inc., DeKalb, IL) convert my original alternator to a late model internal regulator (and it’s 100 amps). They used the front of mine, and a newer rear section so it looks original from under the hood. Only one wire hook- up (and a ground) I then eliminated the old regulator and it’s wiring 04568503-1BB6-4638-9B7C-308D2FD7E929.jpeg

great pics :) the two white in that factory plug....did you hook them up? i cant see them on the pics... and, are you using the regulator on the rad saddle as well as the one on the back of the alternator?

Only wire used is the”angle connector” and that went to large post on alternator. I removed the old regulator.

can you just hook it up and use the external regulator and disconnect the little one on the alt?

Are you sure the alternator is properly grounded? Dont just rely on the mounting for ground.

it is now, but I have disconnected the little box on the alt and am using the external one and its charging about 14.5 volts, but I'm not sure what the little box is really for :(

the one on the alternator as in the pics above, someone told me it was a constant voltage regulator

Back