2005 hardtop removal problems

• Thread starter thunderchicken123
  • Start date
T

thunderchicken123

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone! I have a problem taking my hardtop off due to the screws located at the front on the windshield will only push in and I can't pull them out to see if threads would catch I have tried super glue with a t40
and letting it dry and then pulling the screw down and then trying to back it out but to no avail it won't work. Can someone help me out?.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello everyone! I have a problem taking my hardtop off due to the screws located at the front on the windshield will only push in and I can't pull them out to see if threads would catch I have tried super glue with a t40
and letting it dry and then pulling the screw down and then trying to back it out but to no avail it won't work. Can someone help me out?.
There's a T Handle Torx used for removal. If you don't have, available on lineđź‘Ť

Last edited by a moderator:
Please follow the posting prompt instructions moving forward. When you title your post "2005" obviously nobody is going to know what your post is about.

Title updated.
model-year.jpg

Not sure what you are asking here. The screws don't come out of the windshield header, they are retained by a clip so they can't fall out when the hardtop is off. When the hardtop is properly located on the windshield, the screws are pushed up with the t handle torx driver and they will engage while turning the driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did use t40 to attach the hood to the car but I'm wanting to take it off and I have another question. If I can push the two bolts up pull them back down does that mean that I can lift up the front end of the top? I have pushed hard on the top to see if it would release but it has has not done that. Thanks

Have you released the levers at the rear of the top by the porthole windows?

If the levers are open and the screws are loose, it should come free. Have someone help you and try lifting the rear of the top a little bit to see if that helps free it up.

Back